Comments on YEC experience on this board

Oh, I see. So you are quite openly saying something completely irrelevant to the discussion you raised. Very well. Carry on.

@Gisteron

Could you please explain how i am saying something irrelevant to my own discussion?

Nowhere in @swamidass 's GAE book do we find any statements of hostility towards YECs or towards I.D.

Literally the first sentence of the 4-year-old comment you decided to start talking about:

Not at all, no. I could easily have made it far less hostile if I wished. I didn’t.

1 Like

@Faizal_Ali

Let me correct my typo. That comment was specifically to @Tim .

My actual meaning is pretty clear … that it is hard to imagine a more HOSTILE comment.

Thank you.

1 Like

No, I don’t support it. But I also don’t condemn it. I’ll stay neutral on that. I don’t need to turn every statement into an argument.

We are all different, and we have different opinions.

As an example, I disagree with what @gbrooks9 is saying about atheists on forum. But I can still engage in conversations with @gbrooks9 .

Not at all hard. It didn’t start e.g. “YECs are a bunch of…

1 Like

@nwrickert

But the quote that you say you wont criticise is an example of what I say atheists do: they too easily make references to YECs that literally undo efforts to build trust:

@Roy

True. So I qualified that statement by proposing anything more hostile would probably be flagged immediately.

No point. You tend to ignore such things. But follow this:

I don’t see it as undoing anything. @Faizal_Ali is just saying that he isn’t interested in a trusting relationship. He isn’t trying to prevent others from developing such a relationship.

1 Like

@nwrickert

Ugh. You could say the same with any terribly insulting response.

By going public with his hostilities he further sustains or energizes a hostile climate.

Expressing a disinterest in building trust is not expressing hostility. It is not an insult either. And if you keep insisting that there is any measure of trust building efforts it actually really undoes, at some point or another it’d be plenty nice if you could provide any actual evidence to that effect, just to make clear how any of this is something other than a waste of everybody’s time.

And this is setting aside, for the moment, whether undoing trust building efforts (how ever one would quantify that) would or would not be a problem in general, or a problem for this forum in particular, or whether any rules could (let alone should) be put in place to address it without openly playing favourites.

1 Like

@Gisteron

Wow… really?

Do a search for these 2 words: swamidass + trust

If you want to oppose Joshua’s desire to build trust, let me know how that goes for you.

As for “proving” that hostility weakens trust … you sound like an expert debater - - who knows very little about “small group psychology”.

Not what I asked, or challenged.

As a matter of fact I have no training in psychology whatsoever. Thank you, however, for the compliment. Alas, I’m afraid I cannot return it. If I were to respectfully put into words how you sound to me, it’d be something quite like “someone who struggles to parse their interlocutors’ claims, or their own, or back any of the latter up even when prompted” and something about the sound of them makes me hope these aren’t the kindest words you’ve heard this week…

@Gisteron

You and @Mercer deserve each other.

As far as I can tell, you are the most hostile person currently posting here.

5 Likes

HEY GEORGE!

Yes, I’m shouting. I wanted to make sure I got your attention.

Firstly, I would like to point out how incredibly rude it is for you to demand whether I “support the quote” without acknowledging that I had already given an opinion by replying to the exact same post of yours that the quote was replying to.

Secondly, the quoted passage is an explicit statement of @Faizal_Ali’s personal interests NOT a direct attack on YECs. It was not even expressed directly to a YEC, but to a self-described-evolutionist, yourself. As such the suggestion that it was overly “hostile” and should be subject to censorship is absurd.

Thirdly, although I wouldn’t have put it so bluntly, I have some sympathy for @Faizal_Ali’s views. I do not trust Creationists (I see them as being, almost-ubiquitously, dishonest), and don’t expect them to trust me. I fully expect to have to scrutinise and fact-check their claims, and would expect to be scrutinised and fact-checked in return.

If this (four-year-old comment) is the best example you can find of atheist “hegemonic” attacks on YECs/Theistic Evolutionists (your scattergun accusations just add to your general incoherence), then is is just further demonstration of how absurd your quixotic crusade is.

3 Likes