Cordova and Runyon on the fossil record

I could sit here all day and post examples of geologic formations impossible to form in a one-time one year Flood. Things like angular unconformities

Angular unconformities take at least 7 separate geologic steps to form with each step taking millions of years

1. Horizontal sediments are laid down on the ocean bed.
  2. As they are buried deeper the sediments lithify - harden into stone
  3. Plate tectonics raises and tilts the once horizontal layers
  4. Erosion planes off the tilted layers to a once again horizontal surface
  5. Another ocean ingresses and lays further sediment over top the planed off tilted area.
  6. The new layers are buried and lithify
  7. Eventually erosion exposes the whole combined sequences.

YECs wonā€™t touch this sort of physical evidence. Of course it was the famous angular unconformity at Siccar Point Scotland which convinced geologist James Hutton in 1788 the Earth wasnā€™t young.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s pseudoscientific talk. In science, we test the predictions of our hypotheses, and are willing to discard hypotheses that donā€™t hold up.

You and Sal donā€™t.

1 Like

Itā€™s a meeting abstract, Sal. FASEB publishes those abstracts, yes, but they arenā€™t papers. Iā€™ve got lots of such abstracts that I have never listed on my cv.

@swamidass, at what point does someone have to reach in order to be banned here? Or at least chastened?

1 Like

No, my disclaimer will do just fine. As long as we can help you inform your students that they are not getting accurate information (aka facts) from you, then we are accomplishing something.

2 Likes

Yes I did.

You have to go very far to get banned.

To be chastened? Just flag his post as inappropriate. We have an excellent team of @moderators who will handle it.

1 Like

Well I donā€™t know how to do that. But yes, it is very inappropriate.

On the offending post, click the triple dots, then click the flag. Easy.

At what geologic level does the great unconformity reside?

If you mean the famous great unconformity in the Grand Canyon its surface lies between the Tapeats sandstone (approx. 550 MYA) and the metamorphic rocks of Granite Gorge (1.6 to 1.8 BYA).

Read about the geology for yourself here.

The Great Unconformity

Of course there are thousands of other examples of angular unconformities all over the planet.

3 Likes

Which ones contain traces of life?

Going back pretty far, they contain pollen and bacteria. @r_speir, why not help me out here? Question to the YLC...Why Not Eras and Epochs?

3 Likes

I have no idea what the percentage is but here is one example.

According to the caption the lower shale layer is full of trilobite fossils.

The pegmatitic granite is an intrusion dated at about 1.4 billion years ago and is part of the crystalline basement. Above the non-conformity (represented in red) is a Lower Cambrian sequence. One would expect an overall geometry of layers somehow parallel to the unconformity, but at the local scale it is not uncommon to observe contact at an angle, like the one in the picture. The Lower Cambrian sequence misses at this location the Zabriskie Formation (which is found immediately to the right of the area) and starts with the trilobite-rich Latham Shales, followed by the oncolite-rich Chambless Formation.

Marble Mountains, Cadiz (San Bernardino county), California

Source

ETA: For some reason the picture wonā€™t load. Check the source link for the photo or right-click ā€œopen image in new tabā€

ETA2: OK now the picture loads. Gremlins???

1 Like

Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing about you, Mr. One Liner.

We could argue about that, but it would be off-topic. How about something on-topic for a change?

1 Like

So first of all, you are wrong about the non-conformity containing fossils. It is the Latham Shales above the non-conformity which is rich in trilobite fossils.

Second, this statement in the caption about the black line identifying the slanted contact angle of the sediment above the non-conformityā€¦

ā€¦speaks clearly of two things:

a. By the time of the great Flood, the basement rock had already been pushed up at an angle and the non-conformity was already in place
b. That angle created a reservoir of sorts for the deposit of Flood sediments in the Latham Shales

Conclusion: You have just submitted an almost perfect example of how the Noahic Flood is validated in earth geology.

LOL! You should get a job as a fiction writer your imagination is so vivid!

Tell us again how your quiet gentle Flood produced ALL of these angular unconformities?

Pictures of Angular Unconformities

Bad tactics. You have to find an angular unconformity that specifically addresses his claims to present him with a dilemma. You need one that happens within the Phanerozoic and has fossils both below and above the unconformity.

Hereā€™s another example I found.

This weekā€™s Friday Field Foto is from an area just west of Death Valley called Darwin Canyon. As you can see, there is a sharp, angular contact between two sedimentary formations ā€“ an angular unconformity.

Note person in lower right for scale.

When I took this photograph I didnā€™t have any specific knowledge of this geology because we were driving between stops. But 2 minutes on the google machine uncovered this fantastic web resource ā€“ Death Valley Geology: A Field Guide and Virtual Tour by Steven G. Spear from Palomar College.

The information for this angular unconformity is here and this is what they have to say about it:

The layers below the unconformity are the lower Permian Darwin Canyon formation seen at the folds up-canyon. The layers on top are Triassic marine deposits (and may correlate to similar age strata in Butte Valley). The angular discordance of the unconformity is about 20 degā€¦ The age of this unconformity has been quite well dated. The youngest fossils in the beds from under the unconformity are Wolfcampian fusilinids of the Panamint Springs member of the Darwin Canyon formation. The oldest fossils from the layers above the unconformity are Guadelupian (Capitanian) brachiopods and mollusks.

Source

Let the hand waving begin again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like