COVID Vaccine and Pregnancy

Would you recommend the mRNA COVID-19 to a pregnant relative?
  • Yes
  • No
  • It depends on the situation.

0 voters

OK, I am actually asking for selfish reasons. I’m curious how many scientists here would recommend the vaccine in all pregnancy situations, even though pregnant women haven’t been in clinical trials. If not, I can explain my circumstances because I’m curious if there are any reasons that make you hesitant. I’m not seeing any with a bit of research.

I am strongly leaning toward getting vaccinated. I’m also curious if my doctor will put me in a priority group.

2 Likes

A couple of things.

What vaccine group are you in? Are you are a young healthy pregnant woman who isn’t a healthcare worker or first responder? If so, you are have a long wait, perhaps longer than your pregnancy.

Your doctor should know best. I would see how vaccines are progressing. In the meantime, stay safe with masking wearing, social distancing.

1 Like

I don’t know. My doctor sent a message to all his patients earlier this week. In case pregnancy is considered a higher risk group, probably is because complications are more likely even if fatality might not be, I let him know my status. Even if I’m not considered to be, it’s likely I would get a chance while still pregnant. I’m not due until early August.

I would definitely listen to his opinion. If he doesn’t recommend, I’m willing to do it anyway possibly. But knowing him, he’ll leave it up to me or recommend it because some organizations are.

Here’s the meddit discussion on it

There’s not that much evidence to say whether it is safe or not in pregnancy.

1 Like

The are no additional complications associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection in pregnant women AFAIK.

The likelihood would probably be a function of the state you live in.

1 Like

The discussion on including women in the trials or not is interesting. I think they should have allowed pregnant women the choice, and I’m glad people are mad about it. If anyone knows how to look up vaccine trial info and can tell when any of them will be concluded in pregnant women, that would be helpful. It would be useful to know if they would be concluded in an amount of time that would be meaningful to me. Or if somehow they will be tracking women who choose to be vaccinated, that may be helpful also.

As far as I read, none of the mRNA vaccine ingredients would be likely to cross the placental barrier, does anyone think that’s correct?

This might be helpful

Are you even being offered an opportunity to take it yet? I suggest waiting till you are offered an opportunity, and discussing it directly with your physician. By that time, we should have a lot more information.

1 Like

What kind of information would we get that would be relevant?

Stay safe and healthy. Wishing you a healthy and safest pregnancy and delivery with all the science, medical technology, and best healthcare available. Despite God making women suffer during child birth for Adam’s sin, science has made enormous program making the enormously risky delivery process much safer and easier for women. In 1850, one in five women died in child birthing, now it is a rarity. And thank you for keeping the human species going.

1 Like

By the time you have a chance to take the vaccine, we might have more information about the effects of both the virus and on pregnancy, the vaccine on pregnancy (and general side effects). By that time, there might even be studies done on pregnancy.

So rather than speculate, just wait. There isn’t a reason to think the vaccine will harm you, but you don’t have to make the decision yet, and we will learn quite a bit in the next few months.

2 Likes

Patience is not my virtue. I’d rather do the research now and have a plan. But yes it’s smart advice. :slightly_smiling_face:

If anyone sees relevant info please let me know.

“That will not necessarily be looking at efficacy, but we’ll be looking at safety and immunogenicity to bridge to the efficacy in the adult non-pregnant population,” he said at Columbia University’s Grand Rounds 2020 event. “The same holds true for the pediatric population. Those studies will probably start in mid- to late-January.”

Physicians have found an increased risk of complications for pregnant women who contract Covid-19, said Aron Hall, Covid response chief at the CDC.

“The early indication is there might be a higher risk of pre-term delivery,” he said Thursday at the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee.

While young children appear to be less likely to die from Covid-19 when they get it, they are at an increased risk in developing something called Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, researchers have found. It’s an inflammatory disease that can affect multiple organ systems throughout the body, including the heart, lungs and brain.

1 Like

My doctor’s message said he had requested the Moderna vaccine. I thought this was key below when I had read something similar elsewhere - seems like benefits outweigh the risks and the more people who aren’t vaccine hesitant who are willing to be vaccinated the better in my mind. But I figured the more opinions I get the better for me as I figure out what’s the best thing to do. :slightly_smiling_face:

No safety concerns were demonstrated in rats that received Moderna COVID-19 vaccine prior to or during gestation in terms of female reproduction, fetal/embryonal development, or postnatal development. Studies in pregnant people are planned and the vaccine manufacturers are following outcomes in people in the clinical trials who became pregnant. Based on current knowledge, experts believe that mRNA vaccines are unlikely to pose a risk to the pregnant person or the fetus because mRNA vaccines are not live vaccines. The mRNA in the vaccine is degraded quickly by normal cellular processes and does not enter the nucleus of the cell. However, the potential risks of mRNA vaccines to the pregnant person and the fetus are unknown because these vaccines have not been studied in pregnant people.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

What would you think if they had allowed pregnant women to enroll, then found that the vaccine was harmful to fetuses? Since fetal vulnerability to insults is virtually always restricted to specific windows of time, how many pregnant women would need to be enrolled for sufficient numbers to establish safety?

I view testing on pregnant women to be unethical without a huge dataset from nonpregnant people already in the bag, since we have clear ideas about what insults have the potential to harm fetuses (and when) that can be extrapolated from those data.

Yes, NEARLY certainly.

6 Likes

I learnt a new definition today. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.