Dale, Roy, and others discuss religion

That nice story (along with many others) validates Christianity, from which the list follows.

How does it follow?

Scripturally.

So scripture says it? Does that make it true automatically?

1 Like

Pretty much. Since you don’t accept Christianity as being true (although you didn’t object to the idea of multiple instances of God’s providence validating it), are you sure there is anything to gain in pursuing this line of questioning?

As an example, however, I will give you the scriptural rationale for the first item in the list. The Bible speaks of children of promise and children of wrath – there is no neutrality, no indifferent middle ground.

Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise.

versus

…we were by nature children of wrath.

How do you know scripture is automatically true?

Wow! You had enough time to read the first two words before replying. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s not a short answer question, is it.

How about, “God’s providence validates it”? :slightly_smiling_face:

Could I not find followers of other religions, with radically different scriptures, who would say the same thing?

1 Like

I would be surprised if you could find any consistency or numbers comparable to the accounts of Christians’ experiencing their Father’s interventionist M.O. in their lives, over the centuries. (You haven’t seen my Co-instants Log, and I’m a septuagenarian. :slightly_smiling_face:)

I would be surprised if I could not. But shouldn’t one be all it takes? I mean, that’s what you implied earlier when you referred to “A series of coincidences that in themselves may be notable, but taken as a group there is a connecting factor that it is unreasonable to say that it was mere chance.”

But now you seem to be saying it’s not really just about an example of such a series of coincidences, now you’re saying Christians have more impressive numbers of them?

Have you ever actually bothered to determine whether that is in fact the case?

1 Like

I’m hardly saying that that is all that validates Christianity.

I think you’re just being objectionable because you haven’t got any other choice.

You’re not answering my questions. There were multiple in that post. Will you answer them?

If you’ve only read my personal accounts, do you really think you have any chance of arguing me out of believing, knowing my Father in heaven? I’m only hoping to maybe have a pittance of influence to help others to get introduced to the Creator of the universe, a loving and lovable Father, so that we could become siblings and friends forever. That includes you, btw. :slightly_smiling_face: That’s the only reason I’m here. It certainly isn’t to win an argument or to stroke my ego.

You didn’t answer one of mine, and I did answer one of them, right after.

I just realized that the list really is just one thing, so you really do not have multiple questions about it, only one, and that I have already answered it, namely that there is no neutrality with respect with one’s relationship to God. That said, I think that I  have nothing further to gain in pursuing this line of questioning.

Well no, now that you ask like that, I don’t.

Even so, I am interested in how you think and how you get to the positions you hold. What do you think is the basis for thinking that
“With respect to God, there is no such thing as indifference, it’s binary, black and white. Ignorance of and the ignoring of him is evil.”
is in any way true?

You’ve basically said that your reason for thinking that is “it says so in scripture”. When asked why you think those parts of scripture are true, you pointed to to “God’s providence”, by which you meant some accounts about people who believe God was responsible for various things happening in their lives. Your idea was that these events add up to some coincidences that would just be “unreasonable to say that it was mere chance.”

Of course I don’t agree with you, and I am hoping to persuade you otherwise. And I have to wonder whether you have considered that pretty much everything you say could be stated with equally sincere conviction by followers of other religions. Heck, it could even be sincerely believed and stated by adherents to various secular ideologies. Oh look at how this Big Idea totally changes lives in profound ways.

And perhaps worse, even if it were the case that Christians experience “God’s providence” in their lives, that wouldn’t make it true that Christians experiencing
“A series of coincidences that in themselves may be notable, but taken as a group there is a connecting factor that it is unreasonable to say that it was mere chance.”
would make it true that
“With respect to God, there is no such thing as indifference, it’s binary, black and white. Concerning the ‘Ground of all being’,the Source, that with which we cannot do without, the most valuable thing there is, the sum and essence of all good, ignorance of and the ignoring of him is evil.”

It simply doesn’t logically follow. It is not clear to me how this is even implied.

I’m only hoping to maybe have a pittance of influence to help others to get introduced to the Creator of the universe, a loving and lovable Father, so that we could become siblings and friends forever. That includes you, btw. :slightly_smiling_face: That’s the only reason I’m here. It certainly isn’t to win an argument or to stroke my ego.

I understand, but I’m honestly not really convinced that is true. It does not appear to me that you’ve stated things without ego. It seems to me the very first sentence in that post of yours is in part a quite strong expression of ego. So is this latter part. You are in part advertising what you see as your own virtues. Neatly sprinkled with a bit of fake humility. And when you state you’re not here to win, you can’t, of course, lose.

1 Like

Make a distinction between ego and confidence.

I don’t.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You should.