Darwin Devolves - Another Huge Advance Against Darwinism and for Intelligent Design

From EVN:

https://evolutionnews.org/2019/03/darwin-devolves-another-huge-advance-against-darwinism-and-for-intelligent-design/

From the link:

If Darwin’s theory explains everything so well, why hasn’t anyone shown how it works at the minutest level, biochemistry?“”

Follow-up question:

If Intelligent Design explains everything so well, why hasn’t anyone shown how it works at the minutest level, biochemistry?

A blatant double standard, as usual.

Also: “Michael Behe, professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University, has been keeping committed Darwinists awake nights for years.” Does he play loud rap music at Lehigh?

8 Likes

“DNA sequencing has only been available in the past decade or two.”

Um, no. I was doing it in the 80’s.

6 Likes

What do you think about the amazing progress of ancient DNA sequencing as in the work of David Reich in "who We Are and How We Got Here?

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Are-How-Got-Here/dp/110187032X

1 Like

I haven’t read it. I’ll have to add it to my ever growing list of books to read.

1 Like

It is amazing. Really should read it. Are you up to date on the sequencing of Neanderthals and Denisovans? How about the child who had a Neanderthal mother and Denisivan father?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06004-0

Sadly, I know very little about this topic. But I will be teaching a new course in human biology in the fall, so one of my goals for the summer is to get up to speed on ancient hominids. I teach at a small Christian college with a lot of YEC. This class is going to be a wild ride.

3 Likes

There is a lot of material available on ancient hominids. I would say the Reich’s book is the place to start as it is current. Just the peopling of Americas destroys the YEC argument.

I appreciate the recommendation. I need to get up to speed on this quickly. I think the class is going to be a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to learning about a whole area of biology that I know very little about. I will definitely put this book on my list.

1 Like

Also, if you are doing a new course in Human Biology, @NLENTS book “Human Errors” would be great to use. Discussion of why Humans need vitiamin C while our dogs don’t is an excellent example that students will resonate with.

Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes: 9781328974693: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

I’ll check this out too. My class on animal biology discusses vitamin C and also vitamin A. Some animals are very efficient at converting beta carotene to retinol and some can’t do it at all. I explain that that’s why carnivores must eat meat and I show a couple of news stories about cats and dogs going blind because their idiot owners fed them a vegan diet. Then I ask the Biblical literalists about death before the fall and how carnivores survived without vitamin A. They come up with some creative responses.

1 Like

@lents explains the real reason:

Interesting. Guinea pigs also need to get vitamin C from their diet. I didn’t know about fruit bats, but it makes sense. ETA: Are we off topic? Is this my first off topic post? I’m new here and going off topic seems like a tradition.

1 Like

Follow-follow-up question: " If Intelligent Design explains everything so well, why hasn’t anyone shown how it works at the ANY level, from morphology to genetics to biochemistry?

I knew cats were obligate carnivores because they can no longer produce taurine and must get it from fresh meat. Are you sure dogs suffer from the same taurine lack, or is there something else dogs need in meat?

My sources say dogs require vitamin A in their diet because they are not efficient at converting it from beta carotene.
They do convert some (unlike cats) but not as efficient as other species. Vitamin A - Companion animals - Compendium - DSM
Apparently dogs can survive on a “carefully designed” vegan diet - carefully designed being the operative phrase. http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2016/07/vegan-dogs-a-healthy-lifestyle-or-going-against-nature/. I’ll have to update my lecture.

Many examples of evolution improving function or changing function have been given. They ignore it, and then repeat the same claims. We had hoped for more, but I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.

1 Like

Thanks! I like learning something new every day. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Me too! I forgot about taurine. I need to add that to my lecture as well.

I love bringing up taurine when YECs are arguing about feeding the animals on Noah’s Ark. I ask then what cats ate for the year and get…silence. Maybe that’s what happened to the dinosaurs, they ended up as kitty food. :wink:

1 Like