Death Before the Fall

I believe death was a part of life 3.5 billion years ago as it still is today. I believe Adam and Eve were familiar with physical death. I believe when God said “you will surely die”, it meant that their spiritual connection to God would be broken. It is also possible that if the garden were trees in it were not metaphorical, that expulsion from the garden would result in eventual physical death, as well.

There are, depending on whose reckoning one accepts, somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 Christian denominations in the USA. I have not seen any survey work which covers the views of all those denominations on evolution. So I’m not sure how the conclusion “most” was arrived at.

If the meaning is, “most mainstream Christian churches,” then possibly the statement is correct, though of course that depends on which churches are reckoned as “mainstream.” I suppose, if one reckons “mainstream” to mean the liberal branches of the Lutheran and Presbyterian churches, and the Anglican churches, and the Roman Catholic church (with caveats about the evolution of the soul), and the United Church of Christ, and most of the Methodist churches, then it’s true that “most churches” have accepted evolution, or at least, tolerate it as acceptable belief for their members.

I’m not here passing any judgment on churches that do or do not accept evolution, but merely questioning the confident use of the word “most.”

Maybe its time for you to keep up with times. @cwhenderson has embraced evolutionary theory, because it is a well-supported explanation for the sheer diversity of life.

Take a cue from Jesus. He broke ancient traditions and made reforms. That’s why you have Christianity today. Maybe science is our Holy Spirit now.

Personally I think the most logical interpretation (but not necessarily correct) is that God meant a physical death and a spiritual one.

They would lose their chance at immortality as well as spiritual intimacy with God.

1 Like

I don’t think the above remark was intended critically, but if one reflects upon it, one perceives that it may well be true, and may have something to say about the ultimate religious commitments of contemporary culture.

1 Like

Yeah it wasn’t meant to be taken seriously.

Who knows.

So what, Eddie? There was absolutely nothing in my statement that would lead anyone to infer in good faith that I would limit my consideration to the USA.

By considering the world, not just the USA, a hotbed of creationism.

I’m not sure that your attack was made in good faith.

No, the meaning is most Christian churches in the world. The fact that you added, then omitted “in the USA” does not suggest good faith on your part.

You appear to be attacking using a straw-man fallacy.

I mean the evidence for OoL and common ancestry as the reason for humanity has gotten to be less likely as time goes on rather than more likely. Eventually it will be dropped as a model.

I heartily disagree.

Because GAE has two beginnings, not one.

Yes, on the subject we’re referring to - that all of life has one common ancestor.

I agree with that.

Not even remotely a good analogy for what I was thinking about.

I’m referencing here some who like to compare common ancestry to the church’s fight over heliocentrism. It is not even remotely similar.

I disagree. What the church has to say as a whole is an adequate tool for measurement of scientific validity.

I’m saying that I believe they did die immediately - the process of death began.

So then why does Jesus define marriages using both Genesis 1 and 2. When do you think marriage was actually instituted?

And how did this happen if all they knew was the Garden where there was no death? Or are you supposing it was an island of life and they could peer outside without any legend surviving of biological humans outside the garden surviving to this day wondering about these odd humans?

I agree. That’s why they knew that death was something that happened when they sinned and disobeyed God because they knew God was and had given them life.

I agree with this. They’re both symbolic and real.

There are many OoL models. Some models hold more promise than the others. As time progresses, and new technology and ways of thinking emerge, we will see which models prevail.

This is a YEC fantasy. For this to happen, you would have to restructure our genome to eliminate the genetic patterns therein which provide powerful testimony of our shared ancestry with the great apes. It’s easier to dispute shared ancestry between rodents, than to dispute shared ancestry between humans and chimpanzees.

Valerie, have you been a witness to any of the relevant evidence yourself or are you basing your claim on hearsay?

If the former, would you please point me to that evidence? I’m especially interested in your take on the evidence supporting metabolism-first hypotheses.

TIA!

Fine, then let’s see your data for the churches of the world. Did you personally look up the stance on evolution of every single church in the world, and count, and determine that 50% plus 1 (or more) of them accepted evolution? If not, how did you determine “most”?

Is it just me, or do most biochemists support metabolism-first models?

It appears that you already have and found that to be the case, since you misrepresented my point as only applying to the USA.

I realize that. However, that doesn’t mean you are right.

GAE proposes a beginning within a beginning. I don’t believe @structureoftruth would characterize his views as inconsistent with GAE, but what do you think, Matthew?

1. That is a tremendous amount of confidence in your own opinion. You are basically saying that in this particular matter, you are infallible.
  2. The OP is on “death before the fall”, not common ancestry.

Then explain what you mean when you count the existence of “ridiculous debates” as evidence against evolution. Otherwise, this argument doesn’t make sense.

Your earlier statement was something to the effect of - evolution can’t be true or the church would already be on board. My point is that most of the church is already on board. And even if it isn’t on board, that is hardly a good criteria for determining whether or not evolution and common ancestry are true.

So what lay people in the church think is a better measure of truth than professionals who study and do science for a living? How can you possibly justify that opinion?

You have apparently somehow assumed that I am arguing that death occurred, but only outside of the garden. I am saying that living organisms died inside the garden, as well. I don’t think the natural order that God put in place was suspended in the garden, nor do I think it was subverted by sin to generate pathogens and carnivory. The Bible just plain DOES NOT support these ideas - they are born only of human extrapolation, not the words of the Bible. I, and others, have explained to you why we believe differently, using actual text from the Bible. You may want to consider that your response has basically been “Nuh-uh!”

4 Likes

Sorry, I have no idea and no polls AFAIK. I learned and did biochemistry very late in my career, so I’m not plugged into the community.

What’s clear is that creationists are content to attack a straw man of the OoL field as it was 40-60 years ago, and that those who parrot them do not seem to have been informed that metabolism-first hypotheses even exist.

Right, @thoughtful?

I’ll take your dodging of my question to mean that you have no data to back up your claim.

Alright.

That’s why Kent Hovind has refused to update his slides despite decades of corrections and new findings.

I think you would be surprised at where most evangelical Christians who work in science and geology actually stand. Small sample size to be sure, but of those I personally know (especially geology, Alberta is oil country), there are none that are YEC.

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Eddie and John

No, we just have to continue to make discoveries about genetics that make these initial assumptions look dumb.

This is my personal assessment of the state of the science.

I have not observed that those who believe in common ancestry as an origins theory can speak in love to those who don’t. If it is true, they should be able to. The same often hold true in the other direction though. The terrible witness we bear is what I mean by ridiculous debates.

And most of Israel were serving idols when they were delivered into captivity. Popularity doesn’t equal truth.

Because the truth of the Bible matters more than science. Should we deny the virgin birth because science says it’s impossible? Where do we want to draw the line?

So the original created order included death and disease? Do you think these things are good? If not, did God create an evil creation?