Elaine Ecklund on Divine Action and Human Origins

As we await this conversation next week, I wanted to point out the latest contribution from Elaine Ecklund.

The way religious Americans approach science is shaped by two fundamental questions. First, what does science mean for the existence and activity of God? Second, what does science mean for the sacredness of humanity? How these questions – questions with profound moral implications – play out as individual believers think about science both challenge stereotypes and highlight the real tensions between religion and science. (p. 2)

The two fundamental questions, where the conflict lies, are divine action and human origins. Our work binds these two things together when we consider the de novo Adam, considering divine action in human origins. That is why this conversation on divine action, and our work here, is so important. It lies at the heart of the conflict. Progress towards peace in human origins, and on divine action, in relation to modern science, is of central importance.

I’m looking forward to the conversation with @rcohlers!

This article is from Scott McKnight. I wonder if he will make the connection here to why his book Adam and the Genome was not received well by most theologians, and ended up being so controversial.