Free ebook: Darwin Deleted (2013)

[Darwin Deleted: Imagining a World without Darwin
By Peter j. Bowler]
https://press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Is anybody familiar with this 2013 book?
Currently available for free from University of Chicago Press, so I’m going to take a look. It seems to be an imagining of how science and society would have progressed if Darwin had not published.

1 Like

I suppose that if Darwin had not published, someone else would have. Others were coming to the same conclusions, eg, Alfred Russell Wallace.

3 Likes

Peter Bowler has written some excellent books on the history of evolutionary biology. His text Evolution: The History of an Idea is a standard text, widely used. His The Eclipse of Darwinism was a really well-thought-out examination of evolutionary thinking in the period between 1859 and the rediscovery of Mendelian genetics in 1900, a period in which many biologists accepted evolution but rejected the notion that adaptation was the result of natural selection. His Life’s Splendid Drama covers the morphological studies of evolution by (mostly) German and English biologists between 1880 and 1920. A harder slog but well-researched. I jumped at the chance to get Darwin Deleted as a PDF. They do harvest your email address but that seems a small price to pay. (They have not yet sent me the link, though).

1 Like

I got my link right away. You may need to try again.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.