Fuzale Rana on origin of language

@Patrick

What did that erectus evolution look like? From one stone tool to a slightly better one?

I was thinking the other day of the timeline of human evolution, and say, give us 10,000 more years. If humans were ever wiped off the map (theologically, I don’t think this can happen), and aliens came and did some archeology, where we have come in the last 200,000 years (to the moon, etc.) would look absolutely astonishing compared to human evolution beforehand. I’m sure they would wonder what the heck happened.

And how long was erectus around for?

Erectus didn’t advance stone tool technology much at all for a million years.

2 Likes

Not only is the making of the tools an indication of sophistication, so is the use of the tools. The spears must have often been used in hunting parties. Yes, there are animals without language as we know it that hunt in packs, but I think it is more likely that early humans who could fashion tools and hunt would also be advanced enough for language. Think of all the communication necessary for a group of hunters to have a safe and successful hunt. Just my speculation, I’m not an anthropologist.

1 Like