Gauger: Alternate Reading Frames Unlike Human Design

You people need to get this figured out. Because it looks a lot like design to this creationist.

What does it mean to “get it figured out”?

Because it looks a lot like design to this creationist

Doesn’t look like design to me at all, do you consider that a persuasive argument for anything? If not, consider that the same applies to your statement.

1 Like

If anything, this just shows that different functional sequences are very likely to overlap in sequence space, and also makes the de novo origin of new genes by frameshift mutations more plausible.

She is not discussing a watch here. It is design.

I have arrived at a compromise. You do not have to figure this one out, so you can go ahead and claim “Nature did it”, and I do not have to figure out the human/ape genetic similarity and I can go ahead and claim “God did it”.

You might both be right.

1 Like

Perhaps, but the epistemology there is of willful ignorance.

2 Likes

Yes, life is complex. It is complex and beautiful. I believe that the world (and universe, for that matter) of nature points to an amazing Designer. What I disagree with is the assumption that complexity could not be achieved by evolution (what I believe is the tool of His design).

5 Likes

Here’s where my understanding ends. What do you mean by “evolution” such that it’s a tool? As far as I can tell, evolution is the unavoidable consequence of imperfect inheritance. If the tool is just “let’s make something that will evolve and see what happens”, I wouldn’t refer to what happens as designed.

2 Likes

Evolution and God’s design are not compatible. Theistic evolutionists need to get a spine and make a decision about what they believe.

AIG believes evolution is a tool of God’s design too. Does Ken Ham need to grow a spine?

@Joel_Duff, what is the best place to point @noUCA to learn about YEC evolutionary theory?

3 Likes

Catholic theology accepts the Scientific theory of evolution, and it is far from being ‘spineless’.

2 Likes

Sorry but evolution and God’s design are ideologies in fundamental conflict. Ne’er shall the twain meet.

To put it simply, I believe that what God created in life forms was the ability to change over time. Even YECs acknowledge this aspect of living organisms. I believe there is ample evidence suggesting that this ability started with simple, single-celled organisms and has advanced to what we can now see today.

I can certainly agree with that.

I believe that what may appear completely stochastic to you and me had a purpose from the beginning.

I’ll take Catholic authority of scripture over yours. There’s a very rich intellectual tradition that too many modern (American) Protestants are completely ignorant of.

5 Likes

There is a lot of philosophy here and not much more. So theistic evolutionists are basically philosophers who are riding on the coat-tails of evolutionary science?

They absolutely are, and we can see the two all around us.

It wouldn’t hurt anything to have respectful discussions with your brothers and sisters in Christ. Maybe you could listen to the other side of a conversation instead of just trying to browbeat anyone with a differing opinion.

2 Likes

Are you having a rough day? If you have a question, ask me.

1 Like

There is? And if so, what’s wrong with that?

2 Likes

“It looks designed” is a subjective opinion which doesn’t go far in science.