Gpuccio: Functional Information Methodology

@Gpuccio, it is great to see a starting point of a response from you. We aim to key the conversation substantive and professional. It doesn’t always go that way perfectly, but that is our goal. I hope that we would all understand each other, and science, better through exchanges like this.

A few thoughts to offer as we await a longer response from you.

Interesting Hypothesis

It is an interesting hypothesis, and it deserves to be received with seriousness and rigor. Good ideas come from all over. The beauty of how science works is that we can, if we are humble to the data, come to common understanding through engaging hypotheses like this. Even failed hypotheses have value for this reason.

Whether or not this hypothesis pans out, our success/failure is determined by the rigor with which we test the hypothesis, and our ability to come agreement (especially across camps) over evidential claims concerning the hypothesis.

Terminology Flubs are Human!

As far as I am concerned this is a non issue now. Many biologists make this mistake, and you are adjusting. Thanks for hearing @davecarlson and @John_Harshman out. It is a fairly common mistake, even among biologists, and it does not affect the substance of your argument.

The Central Methodological Issue

It seems that central methodological issue is:

As I explained, there is a mapping between bitscores and the phylogenetic analysis. I hope my explanation made sense. It seems like it would be far more methodologically grounded to move into the phylogenomic analysis, and translate back to BLAST if you want to compare results.

How familiar are you with BLAST bitscores? Do you know how they are generated? Do you understand the assumptions involved in how they are computed? The gap between reality and these assumptions, I believe, undermines your case. If you switch to a better methodology, this objection would go away, and you would still be able to cross check with your prior results.

Interpreting What We Expect

This paper recently posted by @sfmatheson has a figure that tells us what we expect to see with the new analysis.

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(15)00928-8

Here, branch length is going to be linearly correlated with “FI gain,” as you call it. If you look at vertebrates here, the length of the branch is not remarkably or unusually long. If your results look much like this, it seems that it would count against your analysis. If the data did end up like this, do you agree it would count against your hypothesis?

Your Data is a Good Starting Point

I really love that you are looking at the data yourself. You clearly have the ability to run much of these anlayses yourself. Great!

Let’s talk about how to analysis with phylogenies. I recommend following @Jordan’s contributions to this thread: John Harshman: The Phylogeny of Crocodiles. There are several programs you can freely download to use on your sequence database. It would be really interesting to look at your results in comparison to the tree I just posted.

Next, it seems your analysis would benefit immensely by augmenting it with more organisms, at least one from each of the terminal clades in the tree I posted above. It would be valuable, again, to see how your results compares with that tree. It would be interesting to see how including more genomes affects your conclusions. It would be interesting to see what sorts of deviations from the consensus tree you can find.

Some Parallel Questions

From hearing about your work from others, and reading your articles, I wanted to clarify your position. It sounds like you:

1. Believe in an old earth.
  2. Affirm common descent of humans with the great apes.
  3. Are arguing that there is evidence for design in the origin of phyla.
  4. You conceive design as information infused into the common descent process.

Is this about right?

I’m looking forward to seeing the conversation continue.

2 Likes