Gpuccio: Functional Information Methodology

Why not?

I have considered the probabilistic resources of our planet as a higher threshold of the number of possible states visited by a super population of bacteria inhabiting our planet for 5 billion years and reproducing at a very high rate.

This is of course an exaggeration, and a big one, but the idea is correct, I believe. The probabilistic resources of a systerm are the number of states that can be randomly reached. It is similar to the number of times that i can toss a coin. They can be expressed as bits, just taking the positive log2 of the total number of states.

So, if I have a sequence that has a FI of 500 bits, it means that there is a probability of 1:2^500 to get it in one random attempt. If my system has probabilistic resources of 120 bits (IOWs, 2^120 states can be reached), the probability of reaching the target using the whole probabilistic resources is still 1:2^380.

What’s wrong with that?

Of course, as I have said, the Blast bitscore is not the FI. But, provided that the conditions I have listed are satisfied, it is a good estimator of it. Look also at my answer to glipsnort, that I have just published.

Please, let me know what you think. Thank you. :slight_smile: