Greg Cootsona: What About Intelligent Design?

I’m not “convinced” by any theory because the question is far more interesting and complex as you study it more. This article is a good read about how it is being looked at:

The article referred to here, interestingly, proposes a weak anthropic principle, tied to the origin of life:

The nearly equal lunar and solar angular sizes as subtended at the Earth is generally regarded as a coincidence. This is, however, an incidental consequence of the tidal forces from these bodies being comparable. Comparable magnitudes implies strong temporal modulation, as the forcing frequencies are nearly but not precisely equal. We suggest that on the basis of palaeogeographic reconstructions, in the Devonian period, when the first tetrapods appeared on land, a large tidal range would accompany these modulated tides. This would have been conducive to the formation of a network of isolated tidal pools, lending support to A. S. Romer’s classic idea that the evaporation of shallow pools was an evolutionary impetus for the development of chiridian limbs in aquatic tetrapodomorphs. Romer saw this as the reason for the existence of limbs, but strong selection pressure for terrestrial navigation would have been present even if the limbs were aquatic in origin. Since even a modest difference in the Moon’s angular size relative to the Sun’s would lead to a qualitatively different tidal modulation, the fact that we live on a planet with a Sun and Moon of close apparent size is not entirely coincidental: it may have an anthropic basis.

http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/470/2168/20140263

Before you dismiss that idea, it would also imply a strong fine tuning in the moon required or life.

But is the correct answer? I’m not sure. In the end, I’m left with the question, not a neat and tidy answer. Certainly God created all things, including the moon. But the question is how? And why? Those questions are deep, and I don’t think we know the answer yet.