Junk DNA, High R, Pinnipeds, and the Multiverse

Given that the fraction of non protein coding DNA in pufferfish is probably around 85%, I don’t think this example falsify the hypothesis that complex ontogeny requires high R.

I consider humans to be the pinnacle of creation, but not necessarily in the biological sense. By this, I mean that if it could be demonstrated that some other species was biologically more complex than humans, I would still place humans at the top of creation.

Ok, I think I see why you are saying this. It is probably true that if fugu was biologically as complex as humans, then, given my hypothesis, one may infer that about 80% of the human genome is junk. But I don’t think it is at all irreasonable to hypothesize that human are biologically more complex than fugu.

1. “Probably”?
  2. Who knows what you consider “high R”?
  3. Or what you consider “complex ontogeny”?
  4. Why can it make do with so much less than some species that have between ten times, and in some cases over a hundred times more non-coding DNA, yet don’t appear to have more complex ontogeny?
1 Like

However, it does suggest that most of the human genome is junk. Remember that current estimates are that about 10% of the human genome is functional, while only 2% is protein-coding. That means that about 80% of functional DNA is non-coding. Fugu just happen to have very little junk. The supposed correlation between non-coding DNA and complexity just doesn’t exist.

Naked speciesism.

If it’s reasonable, you should probably be able to provide a reason. But you’re still clinging to this spurious relationship? If so, you must allow that salamanders and lungfish are by far the most complex vertebrates, since they have by far the largest genomes.

This value of 85% is obtained by assuming that humans and pufferfish have about the same number of protein coding genes.

Let’s say above 80%

My claim is that complex ontogeny requires high R, not that high R necessarily indicates complex ontogeny.
Don’t forget that
If « A then B » is true, it doesn’t follow that if « B then A » is true.

That means that any organism with more than 300MB of DNA has “high R”, which includes almost every eukaryote. Congratulations: you have hit upon a meaningless standard.

So you finally agree that within eukaryotes there is no correlation between complexity and R, and that there is no reason not to believe that 90% of the human genome is junk.

3 Likes

But that’s exactly the problem. Since the pufferfish appears able to make do with so little non-coding DNA compared to many other species that have way more genome but aren’t more complex, it would then follow that most species have way more DNA than is strictly required to specify their physiology. So the pufferfish would be closer to the amount of genome that is required.

Again, the question isn’t whether there is some direct prortionality between the complexity of an organism and the amount of genetic material that is required to specify it. But the part that is required can easily be a fraction of the actual measured genome size, even for the pufferfish.
The question is if the range of observed genome sizes is at all an indication of this requirement, or is better explained as being mostly the product of chance events.

Given how much genome size can vary even between species that appear almost identical (and a lot of other types of data), the evidence is actually more consistent with variations in genome size being mostly the product of the more or less random actions of selfish genetic elements such as transposons, whole genome duplications, and stuff like that.

2 Likes

It sounds like you have a theory, and you are here to expose it to criticism. That’s good!

In order to do this fairly, I think you have to give a bit more of a robust definition of what you mean by “high R” than just picking a number. We need to know what is “high R” what is “medium R” what is “low R”, and we need to be given reasons for why the categories are being set where you are setting them. Right now, it just looks like you picked 80% because it is less than the 85% that you have calculated for the pufferfish that you want to reject as a counter-example.

Edit:

This post was made after I had already submitted and I want to go on the record as saying “CALLED IT”
End of Edit

The reason they want to pin you down here is that right now your hypothesis isn’t really worth anything because it can’t be used to do anything. If we are trying to see whether your theory can sort A’s from B’s, and all we know is that not all A’s are B’s, but all B’s are A’s, then the theory is worse than wrong. It’s not even wrong. It’s just a thing that you say.

Edit: Called it again! I’m on fire today!

Remember that we are talking to scientists right now. They want to “science” the things you say, which means you have to back everything up with reasons, data, examples, that sort of thing.

You also need to be very clear and precise in your language with them. So if we are going to use words like “complex ontogeny” as part of our theory, then we need to know what that means in scientific (and that probably means measurable and quantifiable) terms. Also, just like the last time, the next thing they are going to ask you for again is a reason why you have defined the term that way, and there needs to be a rationale to back that up.

I imagine these guys are probably going to insist on that stuff before they give you any more counterexamples. I would. Otherwise, it just becomes a game of “nope, that doesn’t count either” which really isn’t that fun to play.

Yes, mostly. I say mostly because there may be a trend.

Under the design perspective, there is obviously a good reason not to believe the junk paradigm. Another reason is to realize that the junk paradigm is dangerous for science because it discourages exploration of the so called genomic dark matter.

Hi Rum
If it were chance events wouldn’t you expect genome size variation in specific animal populations?

I’m pretty sure that’s not a thing. Junk DNA was first proposed about 1970, and by the early '80’s it was already known that not all of it was really “junk”. I don’t think researchers ever stopped looking for more function, but they may have lowered their expectations.

2 Likes

What reason is that?

How does it discourage this? I’ve seen this claim a lot, but I’ve never seen any examples of where this has been demonstrated to be the case.

4 Likes

There’s plenty of genome size variation within species. Science wins again!

1 Like

Speaking only for myself, I would expect size variations between individuals, and if I understand things correctly, we do see size variations between individuals.

This is not surprising as insertions and deletions are pretty common types of mutations. Heck, even the cells in a person could vary to some degree in length (just not by very much. Big changes take a longer time to add up).

There is genome size variation in animal populations.

So you say yes but no? You’re not making a lot of sense here.

Is there? What is that reason? And since the evidence shows that there is plenty of junk in most eukaryote genomes, how is the design perspective looking now?

Nonsense. That’s just creationist propaganda, and you can’t support it with anything real.

3 Likes

Do you think that these « science guys » always back up their claims with « that sort of thing »? For example when they posit a multiverse, or a naturalistic, unpurposeful origin of life, ATP synthase etc… . It seems to me there is a double standard here.

Sure, and there is.

You might be off-topic. With respect to genetics and how much DNA in a genome is functional, we have data to test various hypotheses. In this situation we should expect “reasons, data, examples, that sort of thing.”

MODERATION NOTE: Expect a topic split for discussion of multiverses, etc…

Do they always back up their claims with evidence and rationales? Definitely not. But do they always expect each other to back up their claims with evidence and rationales?

YOU BETCHA.

This is the standard that scientists hold each other to, and if we expect to swim in their waters, it is the standard that we have to realize they are going to hold us to as well. I’ll give you a good example of where a scientist tried to make some claims and a whole bunch of other scientists freaked out at him for providing insufficient evidence and rationales, even though they thought his underlying find was really cool, and even though they didn’t necessarily disagree with his conclusions: Lee Berger and the Homo Naledi papers. Dr. Berger has this really cool site with these crazy fossils that may have something significant to say about human evolution. If we get in to the details this will definitely get punted to a side discussion, but the point is that he tried to publish in a journal that was experimenting with a “peer review - light” model. A whole bunch of people freaked out. @GutsickGibbon did a good video about it.

Peer review can be vicious my friend. Scientists, can you back me up on this?