Largest haul of extrasolar planets

Confirmation of exoplanets and planetary systems may shed light on our place in the cosmos.

Forty-four planets in planetary systems beyond our own have been unveiled in one go, dwarfing the usual number of confirmations from extrasolar surveys, which is typically a dozen or less. The findings will improve our models of planetary systems and may help researchers investigate exoplanet atmospheres. Novel techniques developed to validate the find could hugely accelerate the confirmation of more extrasolar planet candidates.

The only way they will find ET is to follow the lead of Rare Earth: Why Complex Life is Uncommon in the Universe and pro-ID book The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery.

Red dwarf host stars couldn’t host habitable planets. The star is too small and any planet in its habitable zone would be in tidal lock with it- one side always facing it and the other always dark. So the planets need a host star similar to ours.

Not looking for ET, looking for exoplanets and then studying all of them to learn how non-unique Earth is or isn’t. Will the discovery of biomass on another planet ruin your day?

The presence of life will aid in that. And no, I say that Intelligent Design adds (greatly) to the possibility of ETs- It is practically a given there are ETs if ID is correct.

Those two books will help anyone trying to determine how unique earth is or isn’t.

The latest results like those I put up will help more in definitively determining how unique earth is or isn’t. Stay tuned, if they are hauling in 50 or so exoplanets at a time, we are going to have a lot of data points to study. The books you mentioned are grossly out of step with the scientific findings. I give you the latest August 2018 findings and you give me books published in 2000 and 2004.

1 Like

Wait, how unique the earth is or isn’t also depends on the host star and solar system. There is a host of factors required- rotational speed; internally generated magnetic field; plate tectonics; surface water and land; etc., etc.

Yes, many many factors. But I would like to have studied a 100,000 or perhaps a million exoplanets before making any claims on how unique Earth is or isn’t. Lots of surprises to come. The question is - how will YOU handle the results? Could some result come along that challenges your beliefs?

1 Like

Wow, I just told you- I EXPECT ETs. My belief would be shattered if we never find them. And by focusing on the planets we will never find them. The only way to find ETs is by following the books I listed above. That is the ONLY way it will happen outside of ET coming here, again.

Ok, you can continue to watch the ET movie over and over again. It is bound to become real at some point.

You have serious issues.

1 Like

Yes, it is called living life. Time to go for a nice walk in the sunshine on a cloudy day.

I just think it is interesting that the best hope we have for finding ET is by following the lead of IDists conducting scientific research to promote ID.

@JoeG,

What if - - instead of disputing I.D. (which I do not dispute) - - we explored the idea that God teleoligically engaged the Universe by using BOTH miraculous creation and NATURAL creation …

… to craft Humanity and perfect His method of Redemption for humans to follow?

This is @swamidass’ hope for this list.

Most all Christians believe in the miraculous… and many of the pro-Evolution Christians are perfectly willing to discuss God engaging in moments of Special Creation if Evangelicals will allow for an Evolutionary interpretation of the fossil evidence.

Do you think there is some possibilities for these ideas here at PeacefulScience.Org?

1 Like

Yes, ID sees science as a way to understand the Intelligent Design just as the scientific giants that came before- Newton, Kepler, Galileo, et al.- all saw science as a way to understand God’s Creation.

Oh yeah cuz dealing with materialists and evolutionists is so much better. Anyone who accepts blind watchmaker evolution as an explanation for the diversity of life is very suspect, scientifically. Secular research hasn’t brought us anything. No one uses blind watchmaker evolution for anything. Thankfully medicine doesn’t depend on it.

At least ID makes testable claims.