'Monkey Girl' and Religious Tribalism

You claimed that other types of tribalism “does not typically rise to the level of toxicity” as that displayed in the Dover trial case. To reword your statement:

1. Religious tribalism can be very toxic, as in the Dover case.
  2. Other sorts of tribalism can exist, but they are not usually as toxic as the religious tribalism in the Dover case.

It’s fair to phrase that “religious tribalism is worse than other forms of tribalism”.

Here are some quotes to back up what I’m saying:

Next:

You’ve forgotten the context of my comment, which is to respond to the following comment of yours, where you argued against the notion that tribal hostility is typical by saying that if it were, then society would collapse:

My point is, tribal hostility exists in many functioning societies in varying degrees (and so it is “typical” in that sense, similar to how it is typical for any large city to have a busy police department), and that does not mean that that such a society is on the verge of collapse. You need a lot more of such incidents to cause collapse, and in the case of the Dover trial, I don’t think we were anywhere close. So I don’t think you have disproven by argument that while we should denounce the despicable behavior surrounding the Dover trial, it’s unfortunately not uncommon in high-profile cases like that, and that does not mean that society is going to collapse.

Again, I don’t think that the behavior displayed by Christians in the 2005 Dover trial should be regarded as “normal” or praiseworthy. But it’s a real stretch to compare their actions to what ISIS and Al Qaeda have done. ISIS “systematically committed torture, mass rapes, forced marriages, extreme acts of ethnic cleansing, mass murder, genocide, robbery, extortion, smuggling, slavery, kidnappings, and the use of child soldiers.” Did anything even close to that happen in the Dover trial? Even in the US today, which is much more polarized than in 2005, nothing close to that is happening on a systematic scale like what happened with ISIS. I think there’s a large, large difference between the Dover Trial and ISIS that it’s ridiculous to put them in the “same class”.

Since you don’t live in the US and obtain most of your information about it from news reports, have you considered to what degree your perception is biased in paying more attention to the bad things that are happening in the US?

I’m not saying that the US is perfect, or that the “media is lying”, or that what you’re reading in the news is completely false. I’m just saying that bad news and shocking developments are naturally more likely to be reported compared to more mundane, regular features of everyday life.