Museum of The Bible: Advising the Science and the Bible Exhibit

Society
Science
(S. Joshua Swamidass) #1

Much of the gallery will be divided into six content pods, asking six existential questions:

1. How did it all begin?

2. What keeps the universe running?

3. Are we different from animals?

4. What are we made of?

5. Where are we going?

6. Are we alone?

Through artifacts, interactives and design features, past explanations for these questions and the ever-evolving relationship between science and the Bible will be explored.

I’m pleased to report that several people in the Peaceful Science network are serving as advisors for this project: Darrel Falk, @TedDavis, Se Kim, and Joshua @Swamidass.

4 Likes

Will this be real science or “creation” science?

2 Likes
(S. Joshua Swamidass) #3

It will be entirely in line with mainstream science, and the history of science. I only agreed to do this on the condition I can review, modify and veto any scientific statements in the exhibit. They heartily agreed.

4 Likes

Then it should be great.

(You recall that FFRF gave a list of inaccuracies at the Bible Museum, and, I believe, that all were fixed)

1 Like
(S. Joshua Swamidass) #5

MOTB is doing really good work, and building a lot of credibility. Do not forget their phenomenal work on the Slave Bible: The Slave Bible. The curator of the Slave Bible, Anthony Schmidt, is the lead curator on the Science and the Bible exhibit too. We already have some pleasant surprises planned for this exhibit in regards to race.

Likewise, there will be a lecture series with this exhibit, and @NLENTS is already on the list. Many of the contributors, I expect, will be from the secular scientific community at large.

4 Likes

In the past Ken Ham and AiG were strong supporters of the MOTB. I am seeing less of this now from AiG. In am wondering will Ken Ham still be a supporter after the real science exhibit?

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #7

They expect this to be among their most controversial exhibits ever. I recommended we build a response plan, so we are prepared when things flair up.

Most the controversy, I expect, will be from the YEC world, but it is also possible we will make mistakes on the science. If we do make mistakes, expect us to own up to these mistakes, and fix them as quickly as we can.

4 Likes

Well @Jerry_Coyne, Dawkins society, and the NCSE, will look carefully at the science exhibit. I do hope the MN neutrality will be evident in the science exhibit. This will allow the people viewing the exhibit to decide for themselves.

2 Likes
(S. Joshua Swamidass) pinned globally #9

I would like to tackle #3.

All animal species are different from each in very wonderful ways, some in small ways and some in larger ways. In biology, we group species according to the features they share. In the case of the animal group, if you move about and ingest food, which humans definitely do, then you are an animal. However, what makes us human is much more than that.

3 Likes
(Nathan H. Lents) #11

Yes, they informally asked me, but for fall of 2020, so it’s a ways off. I’m looking forward to it.

1 Like
(Jordan Mantha) #12

I think this could be a very very influential thing. In my extended circles (work and church), the Museum of the Bible is a big draw and it would be just fantastic if they go some good content. I’m super jealous :smile: That is such a good group. I got to see Se Kim present last fall and Ted a few weeks ago, they will certainly be great resources.

From my perspective as a chemist, #4 is a very interesting question, I think one that is often underdeveloped or maybe too superficially addressed. I think the idea that we are living beings yet we are made out “stuff” that is fundamentally no different than what non-living stuff is made of, is fascinating. That has implications for OoL, for medicine, for human/technology interactions, and other things. We also see it come up when people talk about “natural vs artificial” drugs/food/etc. as well as biological research (is it acceptable to test in a lab, or must everything be done in “real” systems).

2 Likes