Naturalism and Abiogenesis

This is not my belief. Instead, I believe the question of Abiogenesis is answerable by science. I do not expect a definitive answer for what actually happened in the past, but rather a set of plausible, testable circumstances that lead to life like our own. There are some difficult questions yet to be resolved, but I see no questions that are scientifically unanswerable.

A hypothesis is a testable question. A theory may be a body of knowledge, a set of tested hypotheses, or sometimes both.

That is not a statistical point of view. What you have is a bit of arithmetic that doesn’t mean what you think it means. It’s sloppy math that only passes because most people do not understand the math.
Calculations of this sort are generally not feasible, and not at all without more definitions and very carefully stated assumptions.

4 Likes

Please be serious. I asked for evidence from the primary literature on OoL research that says abiogenesis is a theory, not some random website. If you can’t find any just drop that silly claim of abiogenesis being a theory.

2 Likes

Um - that spontaneous generation claimed that some extant life comes from non-living (but mostly formerly-living) material says absolutely nothing about the origins of the life forms that weren’t thought to arise by spontaneous generation.

Your comment has the same ‘logic’ as claiming that because the Nissan catalogue says that some cars are manufactured in Japan, all non-Nissan cars must be begotten by other cars.

2 Likes

Being naturally skeptical of such glib statements, I checked.

The top five results in my Google search for “abiogenesis” were these:

1. Britannica
    This refers to (i) the theory of spontaneous generation, and (ii) Oparin-Haldane theory. Describes abiogenesis as an “idea”, not a theory.

2. Wikipedia
    This refers to spontaneous generation, heterogenesis, deep sea vent, iron-sulfur world and zinc-world, “primordial soup”, Gold’s deep-hot biosphere, volcanic ash, dissipative structuring, lipid world, thermodynamic dissipation, hypercycle, fluctuating salinity, TCR and protein amyloids as theories; talks about the necessary features of any successful theory of abiogenesis; and refers in passing to solar nebular theory and the stochastic theory of the origin of the genetic code. But while the Wikipedia page refers to lots of theories about abiogenesis, it never once refers to abiogenesis itself as a theory.

3. Emergence of life in an inflationary universe
    Mentions eternal inflation theory and a grand unified theory of particle physics. Does not use the word “theory” in relation to abiogenesis.

4. The origin of life
    Refers to Darwin’s theory and a general theory of evolution. Does not use the word “theory” in relation to abiogenesis.

5. Biology online dictionary
    Defines abiogenesis as “The theory postulating that primitive life originated from nonliving matter”. Also refers to the spontaneous generation, biogenesis and RNA world theories.

That’s of 1 out of 5 links that state that abiogenesis is a theory, not your claimed “every single provided link in a Google search”. Further, the link that matches your description is a dictionary, not a technical article. The rest of the first page of Google hits shows a similar result.

So either you didn’t just search for “abiogenesis”, or you have misrepresented the results. Either way, your “fact” is not a fact, your claim is refuted, and your credibility drops.

7 Likes

The mathematical formula that you’re calling sloppy math is actually from your fellow brethren in that it is from a naturalist and materialist but he is an atheist not a agnostic. He is arguing against the formulas used by creationists and saying that the modus operandi that they employ is not accurate. Although he like yourself still admits that statistically is more likely yet still an astronomically high number.

I don’t care who wrote it, it’s wrong, in whole or in part. That sort of calculation addresses a single point in probability space at best, not the greater question (in this case "generating carboxypeptidase by chance”).

The basic error is this: The probability of a specific chain of random events leading to carboxypeptidase IS LESS THAN the probability of any chain of events (some of which may not be random) leading to carboxypeptidase.

This assumes that any calculation for the probability of carboxypeptidase is feasible in the first place, and it often is not. In such arguments the information needed to do the correct calculation generally isn’t given or is not available. People who don’t understand the math wave around “impossibly small” numbers as a straw man, not understanding what it really means. I know you said you’ve done your homework, but I don’t think you are taken the time to really understand. If you want some better homework, try applying this method of calculation to any series of everyday random events, and I think you will begin to understand why this doesn’t work. (Ex: The probability of a chain of random events leading to a person spilling some milk while eating Kellogg’s Corn Flakes for breakfast at 7 AM Monday morning while still wearing their pajamas.)

3 Likes

No one with even a rudimentary understanding of either biochemistry or statistics would ever be so foolish as to present the ‘math’ you’ve provided. Unless they were being intentionally obtuse, à la Doug Axe.

5 Likes

Idea is the same as theory so that wouldn’t be one out of 5. In addition all the other ones none of them say it’s a fact which 1 says it’s a fact?

Also the Brittanica one says theory on the main link! So now we are 3 out of 5

And you’re incorrect the 3rd link down in a Google search is actually Miriam Webster dictionary which also classifies it as a theory now we’re at 4 out of 5

I’m not sure if you’re not looking at it correctly or just trying to hide the fact that the 4th link down on a Google search also States that it’s a theory and it’s from biology online.

"Definition of abiogenesis

the origin of life from nonliving matterspecifically a theory in the evolution of early life on earth: organic molecules and subsequent simple life forms first originated from inorganic substancesAccording to the conventional hypothesis, the earliest living cells emerged as a result of chemical evolution on our planet billions of years ago in a process called abiogenesis.— David Warmflash et al."

“Abiogenesis is one of the modern evolutionary theories on how life originated. It used to refer to the now-discredited hypothesis of spontaneous generation . It was once believed that complex living organisms such as mice, maggots, etc. could arise spontaneously from nonliving matter. This notion used to be popular that it was long held by early thinkers for many years until experiments by Louis Pasteur and others proved it to be false. Now, this theory is superseded by biogenesis , which asserts that living things can only be produced by another living thing, and not by a non-living thing. The modern hypothesis of abiogenesis is now restricted in the presumption that the relatively simpler, earliest forms of life arose from nonliving matter, such as organic compounds, and the process that eventually led to this transition was gradual, not a single event, and estimated to have taken place for over millions of years.”

I think I do understand what you’re saying it’s highly probabilistic and not deterministic. Either way at the end of the day no one can argue against the fact that the statistical mathematical probability of any of these complex reactions occurring is still very low.

Therefore why are we only relying on that which can be quantified and that which is empirically verified through sensory data input? If that will not yield the results that we’re looking for? Or if it can’t yield the results we’re looking for? What if what we’re looking for cannot be measured or empirically verified? Does that mean it is not scientifically real? But does that preclude its actuality or its possible existence all together?

Which is why I’m careful to note the need for very careful assumptions and definitions! :slight_smile:

No. The point is that the probability of ANYTHING calculated by this method is impossibly low, even the probability of someone having cornflakes for breakfast. TRY IT - Just keep adding random events to the sequence and you will get ever smaller numbers, ALWAYS. This method is useless and wrong for determining the probability of an event occurring, excepting very carefully defined questions, which this is not.

There is good reason this sort of calculation does not commonly appear in scientific journals - it’s wrong. The exceptions are carefully defined calculations, and I suspect some of these are wrong too.

What else would you have us rely on, if not our senses?

Looking for the result you want is not a scientific approach. If you “want” to test a hypothesis, you make a prediction then see if observation backs the prediction, or if the prediction fails.

You can’t say something is “real”, and then claim it exhibits none of the properties of any other real objects, and can’t ever be examined or analyzed empirically. That’s pretty much a good definition of “not real”.
– PZ Myers

Excepting concepts, as noted in the other thread, which are immaterial yet may have real power to influence people. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dr. Ian Musgrave with Univeristy of Adeliede Australia BTW HE IS ANTI CREATIONIST AND AN ATHEIST

"Dr Ian Musgrave is a molecular pharmacologist/toxicologist who works at the University of Adelaide, Australia. He has a broad interest in the understanding of how surface receptors can modulate neuronal function and survival, as well as interests in natural product pharmacology and drug design. As well he is interested in evolutionary biology, science communication (committee member of SA Science Communicators) and an avid amateur astronomer.

He did postdoctoral work in the Institute of Pharmacology at the Free University of Berlin in 1991-1994, returning to Australia in 1994. He has collaborated with Professor John Carver, Dr. Scot Smid and Professor Colin Barrow on using natural products to attack the neurodegeneration process in Alzheimer’s Disease. He was recently elected as convenor of the Toxicology Special Interest Group of the Australasian Society for Pharmacology and Toxicology . He is collaborating with Professor Roger Byard on the forensic implications of herbal medicines. He has held ARC funding and currently holds NH&MRC funding."

https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/ian.musgrave#

No, it isn’t.

Anyway, you said the Google results stated that abiogenesis was a “theory”, not an “idea” - a falsehood that you are not retracting.

Irrelevant. I haven’t claimed they say abiogenesis is a fact - only that they don’t say it’s a theory.

3 Likes

Now you are relying on a linguistic quirk of the English language. In English the word life (and living) has a very broad semantic range—such that both biological life and a great many non-living things/idea can both be described as being alive (i.e., living, having life, being alive.) Here are some examples of that English-language characteristic of using the same words for very different ideas:

(1) “I know that the frog is still alive because I saw it hop across my yard just a moment ago.”

(2) “The music of Mozart lives on.” (or even “The spirit of Mozart remains alive today.”)

(3) “I went on the Internet so that I could view a live videocast of the Old Faithful Geyser in Yellowstone Park.”

(4) “Capitalism is alive and well even in many countries which have had fervantly communistic histories.”

(5) “I’m not alive at all until I have my coffee in the morning.”

I could give many more examples. English uses ONE word (or one family of words: life/live/alive) for very different concepts which are identified by very different words in the languages of the Bible (i.e., Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek.) I’ve provided detailed examples in past Peaceful Science posts, such as:

Thus, @LogosOfLogic cannot simply assume that biological life and “the ever living one” are the same idea and thereby “either way its life from life.” No, that is imposing a English language semantic “interpretation” to ancient theological concepts written in other languages.

I will say it again: The fact that a modern-day English speaker may say, “All biological life came from prior life: the living God himself.” in no way upends abiogenesis, the idea that biological life came from non-living, non-biological ingredients from the earth’s crust and air.

Perhaps I can identify the differences in semantic ranges this way. I will take the statement of @LogosOfLogic:

“. . . so either way it’s life from life.”

and “map” it into the key words this way:

“. . . so either way it’s X from X.”

Yet, if I “mapped” those key words to convene a Biblical Greek rendering (for example), the statement would look like this:

“. . . so either way it’s X from Y”

In other words, what LogosofLogic regards as the same thing are considered two very different things in Biblical Greek (based on the different words chosen by the Greek-speaker.)

Indeed, when I used to work with a lot of first year seminary students, they would be reading the Greek New Testament for the first time and excitedly remark: “I just realized that when Jesus talked about having eternal life, he used an entirely different word from the one which meant biological-life!” This is why theologians and pastors are trained to do their work from the original languages of the Bible instead of relying solely upon English translations (where one can entirely miss important distinctions.)

4 Likes
  1. If we are going to talk about The Bible we shouldn’t really talk about Greek at all because that’s not even a semitic language such as Aramaic Hebrew and Amharic and Arabic. Greek is indo European with a completely different lexicon and origin and family group.

2. EL Chai in Hebrew or Al Hayy in Arabic stem from the same semitic root word for life. The one God is the only everliving one.

Newsflash: The Greek New Testament is part of the Bible.

Irrelevant.

Very true and also irrelevant.

I agree that “the only everliving one” is a reasonable way to translate the concept into English.

Meanwhile, you entirely ignore the fact that Biblical Hebrew distinguishes between the NEPHESH life of biological creatures and the CHAI life of YHWH (God). YHWH is never described as NEPHESH because he is not “biological-life that breathes.”

Nothing in the Genesis text states that a NEPHESH God somhow passed along NEPHESH-life to Adam. No, it states that HAADAM (“the man”) became a NEPHESH (biologically living thing.) A CHAI God created NEPHESH biological creatures. (Notice the distinction?)

I suppose I should thank you for making my point even more clear. Whether you realize it or not, you are still stuck on trying to apply English language semantics (and those of many other modern languages) to the ancient tongues of the Bible. [I provided examples in NT Greek because there are New Testament passages which make these same points and distinctions and also in order to tie these concepts together with my past PS posts on these semantic topics.]

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing the Bible’s point that neither God nor humans nor other NEPHESH creatures are “inanimate”. (I put that word in quotation marks because even here I’m risking imposing English meanings on an ancient language.) Nevertheless, to confuse the distinction between NEPHESH and CHAI as you make increasingly futile arguments against the realities of abiogenesis just doesn’t make sense.

5 Likes

So… did you not read that link, or did you just not understand it? Because it says it’s stupid to do math the way you’re doing it.

You know that, right? That your source says you’re wrong and doing something silly?

Time to stop.

3 Likes