New Language for our Mission? Building Trust Between Scientists and the Public

There is some revised and refined language we have been suggested. What do you think?

Peaceful Science’s mission is to build trust between scientists and the [religious] public…

What do you think?

2 Likes

The public being religious or not should be irrelevant to the PS mission.

3 Likes

What is the motivation for adding the world "religious? I’m not saying I agree or disagree, I’m just wondering what you are trying to accomplish with this change.

1 Like

I was against using the word religious but another was for it.

1 Like

Well to be nitpicky, as this is the succinct mission statement line, I see a couple of connotations which might be off in tone.

1. It sounds like there might be a faith dichotomy between scientists, who are not religious, and the religious portion of the public. But much discussion also happens between religious scientists and non religious scientists.

2. While there is a correlation, science skepticism which is not particularly rooted in religion is out there.

3. There is an ever so slight, but present, tinge of patronizing in “religious” as an adjective to public.

6 Likes

So just remove religious, right?

6 Likes

I think that is preferable.

5 Likes

Would it be worth including the intersection of science, culture, ethics, and morality?

2 Likes

That would be great.

Just to be clear, is the suggestion completely replacing the first sentence?

Exactly.

1 Like

I see no reason to limit the science trust-building to only the religious public.

2 Likes

I agree with @RonSewell on his points, especially #3. Also, as someone who is neither a scientist nor currently religious, that language is exclusionary—which is fine if that’s what it is, I would just need to blink back some of these tears a little bit.

4 Likes

My preferred language was something like:

Peaceful Science is building trust between scientists and the public, and in particular we’ve made surprising progress among the religious public.

1 Like

We are not exclusionary. We are just trying to find the right language to capture the fact that we are making progress among the religious, and that is a special area of strength. We are doing that in a way that includes the non-religious, and some of the issues we will tackle are difficult for believers and non-believers a like.

1 Like

Other wordsmithing…

Peaceful Science is building trust between scientists and the public, particularly fostering dialog with people within communities of faith.

Peaceful Science is building trust between scientists and the public, exploring the issues at the intersection of science and faith.

Peaceful Science is building trust between scientists and the public, exploring the issues at the intersection of science, culture, ethics, morality, metaphysics, and faith.

4 Likes

That’s why I come here.

1 Like

Please no, unless you have data you are going to provide to back up the claim - especially since the last part of the sentence is not a mission statement; it’s a claim. The first example without “religious” is better. Your mission could be to make progress along the religious public, but I still don’t think the emphasis is necessary. It’s too much like what Biologos is doing then and it doesn’t fit the interviews you’re doing with scientists nor the general tone of many of your blog posts that have a general audience. I would like to see the Peaceful Science account follow science writers on Twitter and improve their reporting by making them aware of these interviews.

I was thinking of you when I read the suggestion - it’s not accurate to say “religious public.”

3 Likes

And sometimes to build trust between the religious scientists and the non-religious public…

3 Likes

This one. The others suggest a limited scope, this one suggests an area of strength without commenting on the scope. Although perhaps with a one word edit to the second option…

Peaceful Science is building trust between scientists and the public, particularly the issues at the intersection of science and faith.

6 Likes

I like your ideas, but I think it might be less cumbersome to add the idea in the list below.

Peaceful Science ’s mission is to build trust between scientists and the public…

…by seeking dialogue in discord and understanding across disagreements,
…by fostering interdisciplinary scholarship engaged with science and the public,
…by exploring issues at the intersection of science and faith, and
…by encouraging conversation around the grand question: what does it mean to be human?

I’m not sure if that make the second point too repetitive?

the third point could also be something like.

…by [exploring issues] and [breaking new ground] at the intersection of science and faith

or instead of the words in either of the brackets

…advancing new ideas
…increasing engagement

1 Like