New paper summarizing latest findings and research of our evolution

New paper by Chris Stringer that summarizes the latest findings, research and thoughts on the evolution of Homo sapiens:

3 Likes

Thanks @T.j_Runyon. I hope your health is keeping up. We are always glad to see you here.

Over the past 30 years, understanding of Homo sapiens evolution has advanced greatly. Most research has supported the theory that modern humans had originated in Africa by about 200,000 years ago, but the latest findings reveal more complexity than anticipated. They confirm interbreeding between H. sapiens and other hominin species, provide evidence for H. sapiens in Morocco as early as 300,000 years ago, and reveal a seemingly incremental evolution of H. sapiens cranial shape. Although the cumulative evidence still suggests that all modern humans are descended from African H. sapiens populations that replaced local populations of archaic humans, models of modern human origins must now include substantial interactions with those populations before they went extinct. These recent findings illustrate why researchers must remain open to challenging the prevailing theories of modern human origins.

2 Likes

Hi @T.j_Runyon,

Thanks for the paper. It provides a good overview of recent research in the field. Cheers.

2 Likes

Here’s a NYT overview of Reich’s book: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/books/review/david-reich-who-we-are-how-we-got-here.html
“Still unanswered is the question: What advantage let our ancestors replace the Neanderthals? Did we possess grammatical language where they didn’t, bringing huge survival benefits? Were we more inventive? Did we live in large groups that overwhelmed small families of Neanderthals? Geneticists are already examining ancient human skeletons for genes associated with speech.”
Of course, my own proposal would have something to do with “possessing the knowledge of good and evil.” I.e., culpable moral (and immoral) sophistication and ideation.

1 Like