No Longer A Christian Because Evolution Disapproves Adam?

1 Like

More propaganda Patrick?

Evolution is not a theory, even though science humbly calls its discoveries about how things work ‘theories’. You probably don’t want to test the ‘theory’ of gravity by jumping off a building.

Seriously? I remember jumping off the roof of my house. I don’t image though that it was done as a test of the theory of gravity.

1 Like

Try again. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@Patrick, could you say whether or not you agree that when we understand evolution, the very premise of Christianity comes crashing down? Trying to understand why you linked the article.

@Patrick… Wait a minute… just the other day you were no longer a Christian after reading Dawkins admittedly terrible arguments, then realizing that his arguments were silly, you also realized that your faith was foundationless. Now, it is the evidence of evolution that is the cause.

If you keep switching like this, I don’t know how to pray for you!! Please, pick a channel and stay with it!!

:rofl:

2 Likes

I think that we understand evolution pretty well now. And please tell me what evolution has to do with Christianity?

1 Like

@Patrick, I wonder what the author would make of me. Having posted this article, I wonder what you are making of me?

Notice also, the author is profoundly illerate of what science teaches, going so far as to say:

The Bible says that God created man and woman, separately from the animals. Uniquely, in his image. It records that he made all the animals as distinctive entities. That he did this by making man from dust and woman from man’s rib. Genesis records that Adam and Eve sinned by eating the fruit, and therefore separated humanity from God.

However, the proof that we can now hold in our hands tells us that humans evolved from other species. The Bible is evidently incorrect when it records in fictional narrative that humans were created from dust and a rib, as unique entities. Part of evolution, Microevolution, (species changing in qualities) is constantly being demonstrated to us, whereas macroevolution (species changing into another species) takes millions of years so we cannot expect to see that in action. However, we do have the fossils to prove that it eventually happens.

Great example of an excluded middle and a false dilemma. I thought atheist cared about logic and reason? I thought they cared about science?

5 Likes

This I what I put in the comments:

Hello Suze, I really liked this post. I am a scientist that affirms evolution. From that point of view, it appears you have made some fairly large scientific errors in this post. I hope you’ll consider correcting them. http://peacefulscience.org/… Peace.

I wonder if I’ve unleashed the hounds…

4 Likes

Is the supposed evidence for evolution that made you abandon Christianity?

If someone’s belief Christianity is based on science, then I’m pretty sure they are doing it wrong.

6 Likes

Do they? As exemplified by this article and this other one that @Patrick posted: Stephen Hawking Says, in Final Book, “There Is No God. No One Directs the Universe”

It seems that many atheists just pay lip service to logic and reason, much like many Christians just pay lip service to following Jesus.

5 Likes

Well, I am a Christian that affirms evolutionary science. So that question must be directed at someone else. Who?

Be nice to @Patrick :smile:. I actually really like this article. It is a great cartoon of how many people really feel. I’m sure that is why @patrick brought it to us, knowing that its argument was in error.

4 Likes

One can only hope!!! Good job!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why don’t you go post a comment!

2 Likes

Very good @Patrick. Totally on the same page here. It’s very entertaining the common ground that secular science can bring us to.

2 Likes

I want to see if you get bit first!! :slight_smile:

Besides, until Nathan Lents (@NLENTS) tells me how to make an eyeball (that works) in ten easy steps, I’m not quite the poster child for evolution. Still waiting patiently, though. :slight_smile:

I am not trying to take a jab at @Patrick, hopefully my comment was not interpreted as such. That said, I am tired of being called irrational and illogical by irrational and illogical people.

4 Likes

Welcome to my life. If you are scientist choose to enter the public square, this is your life too, the life you have chosen. Right @NLENTS?

2 Likes

I think she came to her conclusion for the wrong reason. Evolution has nothing to do with Christianity. There are plenty of Christians who work in evolutionary sciences every day. They don’t seem to have a problem with evolution impacting their faith. The better way of questioning Christianity is whether it adds purpose and meaning to your life. If it does, keep it, if not chuck it.

5 Likes

Many do, but it’s a mistake to think that all atheists are strong at logical thinking and reasoning. More, if someone has been brought up to think about science only in ways that support their faith, then faith is the first thing to fail. She sees the inconsistency in what she was taught; she knows if is inconsistent, but doesn’t fully understand WHY it is inconsistent.

A person’s emotional reaction to the realization they have been lied to about their faith is enough for many to leave their faith. Reasoning one’s way to this decision is better IMO, and far less traumatic, but membership requirements of the Club for People Who Don’t Play Golf are minimal. :wink:

6 Likes