On theology and science

Yeah, I can imagine the tsunami of questions is pretty overwhelming. I’m certainly glad I’m not on the other end of it for sure. :sweat_smile: I like Paulogia and Jon, I find them to reflect much more what I’m interested in than Aron. Aron’s good for getting a big picture view of evolution, but his anti-theism is pretty souring for some. I wouldn’t recommend him. I think there are plenty more neutral channels that can provide a similar function.

I suppose that’s a difference between us. Heaven never appealed to me even as a little kid. I just figured someday it would appeal to me more, but that never happened. As far as people changing quickly goes, I think that depends on what it is they rested their faith on and also how flexible people are with their theology. For me, YEC was the cornerstone, and it was rigid as H-E-double-:tooth: :pick:. It’s like building your house upon the sand (I guess a super rigid sand? Yeesh, these metaphors aren’t mix well.). When the floods come… anyway, yes, it was emotional for sure. Scary, disappointing, and then a mix of anger and relief.

Ken Ham can have my props when he pulls them from my cold, dead fingers! Just kidding. Sort of. Heh. I think this whole idea of linking atheism and evolution is really interesting and sad, because I’ve now gone from Ken Ham’s view to an agnostic one (at the least), and having passed through that veil, I have a very different perspective on it (and it was pretty mind-blowing to realize as it was happening). From one side, it can seem like the steps go from:

YEC–>Become convinced of evolution–>Why is God even necessary?–>He’s not–>There is no God–>Become atheist.

When the steps go something more like this (may vary from person to person):

YEC–>Become convinced of evolution–>Realize that although you were super confident about it, you were also super wrong about a basic fact of reality–>If you and so many others were both super confident and super wrong about this basic fact, what other basic facts could you be wrong about?–>Begin questioning if God is one of those things–>Become unsatisfied with reasons to believe–>Leave Christianity–>Become atheist.

Now, one can say, “look, either one starts with believing evolution and ends with atheism–it’s all the same.” But it’s not. In Ham’s version, the cause of the atheism is believing evolution, but in reality, it’s discovering “Hammonism” is wrong that’s the cause. I have no doubt were I raised in a faith community that affirmed/accepted evolution, I would still be a Christian today. Ham’s dogmatic refusal to understand other people’s journeys, among other things, tends to ruffle feathers everywhere, non-theist and theist alike. It wouldn’t be such a problem, except he spreads that kind of closed-eared xenophobia throughout his sphere of influence, and it objectifies people and does real damage to relationships.

5 Likes