Origin of Mitochondrial DNA Differences

AiG Has this piece below. @Herman_Mays can you please tell us what is wrong with this. Thanks

1 Like

Everything from Jeanson uses a mutation rate about 50x higher than the real rate, and focuses on mitochondria, instead of autosomal DNA.

1 Like

Odd that the author is choosing to briefly summarise an article by Jeanson, 2 years after it originally came out.

As @swamidass said, to make a long story short, Jeanson’s mutation rates are off. This will all be covered in my upcoming review of chapter 7 of Jeanson’s book.

2 Likes

Yes, its an odd article. The author doesn’t seem to have any expertise and though the article is published yesterday he doesn’t even reference Jeanson’s book or plug it in any way. You would think that this article was arranged to support book sales.

2 Likes

Given the author’s publishing history on AIG, he’s a recent hire whose role is to publish a fluff piece every couple of weeks. Hardly worth bothering with, especially judging by their quality (or lack thereof).

3 Likes

Once you are done with your Chapter 7 review, perhaps we commission you to write a review of an article every week published in the AIG journal. Could be fun.

1 Like

Yes, he is a “former dining hall attendant at Pensacola Christian College” which is a strongly YEC school. Now living in Florence KY which is near the Creation Museum. It’s hard to find good help.

4 Likes

This is a far more stunning article from him, that might be more his “creation” (pun intended):

Evolutionists are assuming that the seed sizes we observe in the present were the same in the past. It is quite possible that some or all of the plants with smaller seeds had yet to differentiate into the species we observe today. The jewel orchids, for example, might not have branched from the originally created orchid kind at the point Jesus made his statement.

If speciation is rapid, then evolutionists cannot make uniformitarian assumptions. Without these assumptions, evolutionists’ attempts to mock the Scripture lack foundation because what we observe today may not be what existed in the past.

I would just say (quoting from my book):

“The mustard seed is the smallest seed on earth” (Mark 4:31) is a statement with similar contextual bounds. Jesus is correct, in his context. Broadening the context, however, we find that orchid seeds are smaller, but Jesus is not in error.

1 Like

I remember reading that orchid article. Every day they publish something on their site that boggles the mind. It is so difficult to choose which ones to respond to on my blog. I did put this same quote in a folder for future reference because it illustrates how the hyper-evolution can be used by YECs as a creative escape from any perceived problem.

1 Like

Ah, but they must then consider the ostrich.

This was another one of your brilliant turns that needs to end up in a book some day.

1 Like

Is that really his full credentials?

That is all that he lists on his FB page. I find no evidence that he graduated from Pensacola CC but it could be he doesn’t want to list his degree though it isn’t usual for people to undersell themselves on FB.

1 Like

We don’t know if that is the same guy, right?

Well you do have to sign a statement of faith to be a dining hall attendant at Ark Encounter so I guess if you sign the statement of faith, you have full credentials to talk about mtDNA sequencing. :rofl:

2 Likes

You are correct. I should have added that proviso. The combination of Pensacola and currently living next to the Creation Museum is strong evidence but yet is only circumstantial. I wish AiG would provide bios for all of their writers.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the bios be basically the same? 1. Indoctrinated YEC at a young age. 2. Homeschooled in rural Kentucky using AiG material 3. Christian College 4. Employment - limited opportunities

That is totally false. There are some very brilliant and highly educated YECs.

Kurt Wise is a geology PhD from Harvard under Gould. John Sanford is a genetics PhD, who had a successful career as an atheist, never part of the Church. And then went down a decade path to become a YEC.

It is not good to disparage whole groups in that way. It just undermines real progress.

3 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Mustard Seed is Smallest of Seeds

You just proved my point. Kurt Wise - Harvard, John Sanford - U of Wisconsin, Cornell. The whole YEC homeschooling, followed by Christian YEC college doesn’t lead to any secular scientific opportunities. It should be a wake up call to YECs - limited work opportunities in a secular science based society.