Plate tectonics may have been active on Earth since the very beginning

A new study suggests that plate tectonics – a scientific theory that divides the earth into large chunks of crust that move slowly over hot viscous mantle rock – could have been active from the planet’s very beginning. The new findings defy previous beliefs that tectonic plates were developed over the course of billions of years.

Plate teutonics is one of the best things to ever come along for biblical creationism.
It shows the earth was once one mass, as it seems most likely God would create it. Then it broke up.
The breakup is welcome as a fast breakup could be seen as the origin for powerful water flows which deposited sediment loads instantly everywhere. Although most of the flood year would of been used.
It also would seem to help for the formation of the deep oceans we now have, needed for the water drainoff after the flood. because before the flood the ocean would be more shallow to allow more biology to flourish.
Different timelines but thumbs up to continental drift.

Continental drift doesn’t fit very well in the YEC scenario. From what I have read, YEC proponents say that the continents rapidly drifted during and maybe a little while after Noah’s flood. The continents moving that far in so short a time would have gotten very hot from the friction - probably melting the earth’s crust. By what mechanism do you have the continents rapidly moving and then they suddenly slow down to the drift that is happening today?

Not really. It is very strong evidence for an ancient earth: GPS, Radiodating, and Plate Tectonics.

2 Likes

You are certainly no expert in geology. Plate tectonic is cyclical, once land masses converge they break apart. A cycle that has been going on for billions of years. Plate tectonics destroy YEC. Are there any geologist here who would like to comment?

2 Likes

Robert, will all due respect, I don’t know what God is or is not likely to do, and neither do you.

#RighteouslyAgnostic

4 Likes

we are created in gods image. He clearly says we have wisdom, understanding, knowledge in front of us.
We can , as a excellent option, see a beautiful original single land mass. not a crazy broke up thing like we have now.
Then we know the world was turned upside down, as the bible says, and the land masses today show this.
Then they fit together, even fossil assemblages work below the k-t line, and its just what YEC desyred. YEC embraces this . however its not DRIFT but REDEYE express.

I normally don’t point out typos since I sure make my share but “plate teutonics” cracked me up! :joy:

4 Likes

i agree. its happened before too. The teutonic knights did wear plate armour! if that saves me? It doesn’t I know!

3 Likes

that’s not what image of God means

3 Likes

The Teutonic order probably used chainmail hauberk. Full plate armor came along later. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: What is the Image of God?

I requested a copy from the authors. Based on the sensationalist appeal to OOL and just the abstract it’s tough to gauge the work. “Plate” tectonics does not describe the composition of the plates and the larger point seems to me to be early and prolonged whole mantle convection. This group Is countering the work of Sujoy Mukhopadhyay (link below) which has more explanatory power than Dygert et al., 2018. The time distribution of whole vs partial mantle convection is a major disagreement in geology/geophysics.

To clarify the contention this is taken from Sujoy’s abstract: “We demonstrate that the depleted mantle 3 He/22 Ne ratio is at least 10 while a more primitive mantle reservoir has a 3 He/22 Ne ratio of 2.3 to 3. The 3 He/22 Ne ratios of the mantle reservoirs are higher than possible sources of terrestrial volatiles, including the solar nebula ratio of 1.5. Therefore, a planetary process must have raised the mantle’s 3He/22Ne ratio.
We show that long-term plate tectonic cycling is incapable of raising the mantle 3He/22Ne ratio and may even lower it.”

1 Like

When John Baumgardner can explain surface geology and mantle tomography as well as Mike Gurnis can I’ll consider YEC views on plate tectonics. Until then it’s just a strong apologetic argument you find useful in defending the hope that is in you, but does not correspond to God’s Creation.

Please, think carefully before responding that this all happened in the 1 year of Noah’s Flood.

Reconstructing Farallon Plate Subduction Beneath North America Back to the Late Cretaceous

2 Likes

Its God describing it and Baumgardner correcting other humans who get it wrong
I went to your link but its a minor detail about things. in fact they, as they must, say they are correcting things.
maintaining slabs would be what happened in a single year with segregated events.
another reason YEC needs continental drift (redeye for us) is a origin for great water flows being created to move sediment about. Great chunks of lands even. We need great power for moving and for creating great pressure on top to turn the sediment into stone instantly.
Fast and furious within a year, even much less.

no, God didn’t write the bible, ancient people did.

Yes, I agree that’s what YEC needs, but that’s not what the geological record indicates or what the laws of physics allow.

4 Likes