"Reconciling" science and theism. A perspective from a non scientist

One thing he said is kind of silly, really, that the universe created itself out of the law of gravity. He also said, in effect, if not verbatim, that the universe had a true beginning.

You cared enough to suggest that I was insecure, and that mandate is about the true security that you should want to avail yourself of.

If it was silly, why did you bring it up? This just seems like trolling.

Based on the kind of arguments you are making on this question, yes I did. Whether it says anything about security in the Bible doesn’t seem germane to that.

I just mentioned it as an interesting aside (and I get accused of trolling :roll_eyes:), but it is more than that, because it also speaks to the second thing I mentioned,

That’s a funny inference, that the kind of argument, or kinds of arguments, that I am making have anything suggesting insecurity on my part. That seems more like denial on your part, and my following through about security is certainly germane, since you brought it up.

That’s classic trolling. I asked you a direct question and you provided it as an apparent answer. Why should I take anything you say seriously if you answer questions with “interesting asides” that apparently aren’t meant to be taken seriously?

Ok.

You missed that “it [was] more than that”, since it has direct bearing on the fact that the universe had a true beginning.

I also gave you another answer. Your trolling suggestion is a real stretch. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s fun watching you guys talk. What common ground have you guys achieved.

1 Like

Irony noted. :slightly_smiling_face: (It’s hard to achieve common ground when one is in denial of obvious evidence. :slightly_smiling_face:)

Time to call on the Bee again :slightly_smiling_face::

If the evidence was so obvious, I think you would be able to respond to questions about it with something more solid than the answers of a troll.

1 Like

That is a horribly sad comment. There is so much opportunity to find common ground with @John_Dalton. It is genuinely sad you can’t see it.

1 Like

Show me how.

@John_Dalton, you’ve been talking to him for a while. Do you see any places of common ground yet? If not, maybe a well chosen question or two might make some clear.

You’re not exactly building bridges, either.

Yes you are a troll aren’t you :smile:.

OK, if I’ve been too harsh or misinterpreted you, apologies. I’ll go back to my original question, which I thought was reasonable: It seems to me “exploded” is a reasonable description of known events (the big bang). How do you know there was “nothing” (which the big bang arose out of)?

1 Like

Based on a reasonable conclusion given the evidence. This is one conclusion from the evidence.

1 Like

I apologize. I misread your

as you asking me to ask @John_Dalton a question.

(You weren’t exactly building bridges with me, though, was my point.)

You do?

2 Likes

One answer would be that at the instant of the big bang, the density of the universe and the curvature of space-time would have been infinite. I don’t know how to put that in more accessible terms – maybe someone could help me out? (And I didn’t mean show me the door, @swamidass. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)