Scholars Over and Under 45

Lamoureux, Walton, Enns are no longer relevant. Anyone over 45 years old is no longer relevant. The millennials want real answers to real life questions.

The ethical and conceptual stance you take here, @Patrick , is not in the interests of the church. The church as a whole will benefit from such conversations, and younger scholars are not necessarily more important than established ones.

2 Likes

Aside from agreeing with @Guy_Coe, I recall you consider everyone under 45 a kid. Seems like I am one of the kiddos! :smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are very relevant.

1 Like

This kinda sounds like “Don’t trust anyone over 30” of my parent’s generation. I’m a little under 45, but not much. I’m not holding onto much hope for relevancy due to my age.

I happen to think you’re mistaken about the relevancy of those individuals for this conversation. However, I’m curious, who would you suggest as alternatives?

1 Like

Millennial Nones.

There are a lot of very important scholars under 45. Several of them, for the record, are associated with PS. The older scholars are important too (contra @patrick) but their time is also ending. Most of the voices in this conversation are literally over 60. Many of them are over 65. They are not even going to be part of the conversation in 5, 10 or 15 years.

We certainly value and include and benefit from older scholars of good will. At the same time, I’m most excited about the younger scholars that are finding their voice here. We are the ones that will be around for the next 30 to 40 years. If we do well bring younger scholars in when we are the old ones, we will be around for much much longer still.

@Mlkluther, you are certainly not too old to be relevant. We are glad you are here. Tell us more about the type of theology you do?

1 Like

Such as? Who would be helpful?

This discussion today should be on how a divided nation can have dialog on how to move ahead in a secular scientific society. Religion no longer should have a seat at the table. It is now a secular country. Dialog between the movers and shakers (those under 45) should have the seats at the table.

1 Like

True.

False.

True.

I’m a parish pastor (M.div) ordained in 2001. I’m a grunt serving on the front line in the trenches :-). Preaching, teaching, absolving, baptizing, marrying, and burying. That’s the kind of theology I do.

I’ve never gone on to do graduate studies, I like being on the front line in the parish - I’ve never stopped studying after graduating from the seminary.

I did as little science as possible in university to get out with my B.A. before going into the seminary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just because someone is a Pope, Cardinal, Bishop or Pastor doesn’t give you a more official voice. I says that Pastors are purposefully excluded. They have a COI and are 100% biased.

Religion does not get to dictate the rules for everyone, but everyone gets a seat at the table.

Now your folly is just becoming mean. I encourage you to read this: AAAS: Scientists in Civic Life: Facilitating Dialogue-Based Communication. The AAAS would totally disagree with you here. The best evidence we have indicates otherwise @patrick. Catch up on this one.

Not the Four Horsemen of the New Atheists? The youngest is 51. I’m pretty swamped in learning about science and think anyone who has had a good grasp of any situation is probably over 50 if not more. :wink:

1 Like

I read it and that is why I am NOT a member of AAAS.

Religions are a major cause of the world’s problems.

My credentials qualify me for a very narrow area of expertise. I’m a parish pastor in the Lutheran Church (I’d make a terrible Baptist) and I’m qualified to do that work. I pray I’m adequate for what I’ve been called to do.

While our society is secular…and my credentials are worth very little in a secular society (generally only worthy of scorn and mockery), I’m surprised at how very, very often I’m asked by secularists to have ethical discussions about the bewildering questions in our contemporary world…and how very often my advanced training in grief support is called upon by secularists as they bury their loved ones.

3 Likes

You’re Dawkins is showing :wink:

Scientism…

3 Likes

Yup, but in fairness, I think @patrick is done with the New Atheists. Past expiration. Even PZ Meyers has moved on…

1 Like

Why don’t you get real secular training and certifications? I am sure you could make an excellent social worker, conciliator etc. Have you ever heard of The Clergy Project? You have a lot to offer in the secular world.