Scholars Over and Under 45

This discussion today should be on how a divided nation can have dialog on how to move ahead in a secular scientific society. Religion no longer should have a seat at the table. It is now a secular country. Dialog between the movers and shakers (those under 45) should have the seats at the table.

1 Like

True.

False.

True.

I’m a parish pastor (M.div) ordained in 2001. I’m a grunt serving on the front line in the trenches :-). Preaching, teaching, absolving, baptizing, marrying, and burying. That’s the kind of theology I do.

I’ve never gone on to do graduate studies, I like being on the front line in the parish - I’ve never stopped studying after graduating from the seminary.

I did as little science as possible in university to get out with my B.A. before going into the seminary :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just because someone is a Pope, Cardinal, Bishop or Pastor doesn’t give you a more official voice. I says that Pastors are purposefully excluded. They have a COI and are 100% biased.

Religion does not get to dictate the rules for everyone, but everyone gets a seat at the table.

Now your folly is just becoming mean. I encourage you to read this: AAAS: Scientists in Civic Life: Facilitating Dialogue-Based Communication. The AAAS would totally disagree with you here. The best evidence we have indicates otherwise @patrick. Catch up on this one.

Not the Four Horsemen of the New Atheists? The youngest is 51. I’m pretty swamped in learning about science and think anyone who has had a good grasp of any situation is probably over 50 if not more. :wink:

1 Like

I read it and that is why I am NOT a member of AAAS.

Religions are a major cause of the world’s problems.

My credentials qualify me for a very narrow area of expertise. I’m a parish pastor in the Lutheran Church (I’d make a terrible Baptist) and I’m qualified to do that work. I pray I’m adequate for what I’ve been called to do.

While our society is secular…and my credentials are worth very little in a secular society (generally only worthy of scorn and mockery), I’m surprised at how very, very often I’m asked by secularists to have ethical discussions about the bewildering questions in our contemporary world…and how very often my advanced training in grief support is called upon by secularists as they bury their loved ones.

3 Likes

You’re Dawkins is showing :wink:

Scientism…

3 Likes

Yup, but in fairness, I think @patrick is done with the New Atheists. Past expiration. Even PZ Meyers has moved on…

1 Like

Why don’t you get real secular training and certifications? I am sure you could make an excellent social worker, conciliator etc. Have you ever heard of The Clergy Project? You have a lot to offer in the secular world.

Secular Humanism.
American Progressive

Oh @patrick, you are such an evangelistic atheist. Maybe you should start a missions group and start a prayer list? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes just read that in Randal Rauser.

1 Like

My training after sem8nary training in grief and death was secular.

I’d suggest that while you dismiss the religious/metaphysical…many, many people who may not claim to be religious…do not. I think I’ll be quite busy doing what I do for quite a while yet…and wait until the Baby Boomer generation begins dying and an entire secularized generation is faced with true existential questions for the first time.

2 Likes

We are seeing the end of the New Atheists. Keep in mind, also, that ID was formed as a reaction as against the New Atheists, and BioLogos was a reaction against ID and YEC. With the fading of the New Atheists, we are seeing the beginning of a generational changing of the gard. If DI does not adapt, its place will diminish. If BioLogos does not adapt, the same is true for them.

It will be very interesting to see how things shape up from here. That is one reason the scholars under 45 are going to be important. We are the ones who are going to map the new ways forward. Our opposition is, in a very short amount of time, going to be no longer in the conversation.

1 Like

That’s great. There is a real need for you in this area. Human grief is very real. I hope your empathy is appreciated by those you reach out to.

I agree. I can tell you from experience that a Catholic funeral mass and service is not comforting at all.

1 Like

I’m sorry that was your experience.

We Lutherans and Roman Catholics have had our differences these last 500 years, and continue to have them (Not only would I make a terrible Baptist, I’d make a terrible Roman Catholic). However, I count Roman Catholics friends - even as technically they must still count me a heretic :slight_smile:

The scientific/secular/materialist worldview, if consistent, has nothing to say with the existential and metaphysical questions that have been part of human experience since…well, I’ll allow the scientists to tell me when humans would have begun thinking such things. I did as little science as possible in my B.A. because it wasn’t my interest. I did mostly psych and Phil instead. I find it remarkable how inconsistent secularist/materialists are when it comes to these kinds of questions as they deign to give perspectives on these issues.

3 Likes

The train wreck that was the new atheism is a very interesting article, thanks for posting it. However, it seems to me to be written through the lense of American politics. He seems to reject the new atheism because, in his opinion, it led to some distasteful political results and affiliations.

1 Like