Science, The Resurrection, and NOMA

That’s not quite right, is it? I think science would say dead people stay dead. I think science has an opinion but it can’t disprove the Resurrection. That is what I meant by it being within the noise or being an outlier. Science can say, observably as a natural law, that dead people stay dead. That doesn’t disprove the Resurrection, it just makes it a miracle if it did happen. Right?

I think I’m looking at this the other way around, not theology limiting science but science limiting theology. My pushback on “science is neutral” is that it seems like science does put some limitations on theological statements. Science says sole-genetic progenitor did not happen in the last few hundred thousand years. That’s not neutral.

So perhaps one way to sum up the relationship between theology and science, from a Christian/theist perspective, we might say something like:

“Science can put limitations on theologically-derived statements of historical events, theology can add a layer of purpose, design, and meaning to a scientifically-derived understanding of the physical universe”

2 Likes