Some Comments from YouTube Watchers of the Tour-Farina Debate

Evolution news is the “public relations” face of ID, and I never take it very seriously. In fact, I rarely read it. What is more relevant is what ID insiders say to each other in private. I can tell you that many of them were dismayed by the Tour debate and found fault with both participants, as well as the format and the moderation. And many of their criticisms overlap with criticisms stated here.

As for, “A serious discussion… was not in the cards,” surely Dave Farina should take some blame for that. He could have said, “Look, Dr. Tour, we’ve had our culture-war fun in the video debate, but if you really want a serious scientific debate, it shouldn’t be with an untrained, fan-boy middle-man like me; you should face someone who works daily in origin of life research. I am therefore declining the offer to debate you live, but am offering to set you up in a debate with Dr. -----, who knows much more about the subject than I do and will be better able to demonstrate the flaws in your arguments. Will you consent to debate with Dr. -----?”

If Farina were serious about educating the public in what real origin of life science is about, he would have done that, rather than showing up with canned first pages of articles and hurling personal and professional insults at Tour. But evidently his ego was so great that he wanted to be seen in a major university, on a stage, debating with Tour, more than he wanted the public to be educated in the subject-matter. I’ve already conceded that Tour showed bad judgment in participating; it would be nice you would concede the flaws in Farina’s personal motivations.