Some Confused Atheists on Reddit

I’m skeptical. They seem oddly silent, while the anti-religious are not. This seems to be the people who did the research, I’ll take a close look at this later http://www.atheismresearch.com/ My first question is, what is meant by “anti-religious”. I’d call myself anti-religious in some ways, and I tend to think I’m on the less anti-religious side of the spectrum. I think it would be hard to find an atheist who doesn’t have some problems with religion.

I said “religion and science are incompatible” and not “anti-religious”, though I guess there would be considerable overlap. But from what I’ve seen, from the people likely to comment on such issues online, such views are highly prevalent. Those are the noisy people as you say.

2 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t classify you as anti-religious @John_Dalton.

2 Likes

An update on my ban:
I asked the moderators which rules I broke to justify my ban, and the answer was “trolling, shitposting, and proselytising”. When I asked how any of my comments could possibly fit those criteria, I was immediately muted for 72 hours, meaning I can’t message the moderators again.

4 Likes

Some do. Some don’t.

Why do you keep lumping atheists together as if there was some commonality of belief? There isn’t.

I was going to say that statements like yours are the theological equivalent of assuming that all vegetarians enjoy nut cutlets - but that’s wrong. It’s the equivalent of assuming that all vegetarians listen to classic jazz.

1 Like

I got permanently banned also. The reason? Someone replied to one of my posts with an absolute tirade and attacking me personally. I responded, as I do with my 7-year old, “Someone needs a nap.” And they banned me for life lol

4 Likes

They banned more atheists than Christians! Seems like we threatened their safe space.

Well clearly you are right. I did not at all mean to imply you had any similarity with their behavior.

Actually, it looks like lazy moderation actually. I replied and said, please look at what I wrote vs. the comment that I was responding to, plus all the other abuse I took in that thread, and tell me if you think my being banned was justified. They reversed the ban. However, they did say, “in the future, don’t engage the hostility, report it.” A good lesson for all of us.

6 Likes

In your words, how would you explain it? What helped you see our common ground and my motivations?

1 Like

No, its too private. I have come to know you over the past several years and done my own psycho analysis of you. What you are doing is deep inside you. It is your purpose, your meaning of your life. Keep going. Something grand will come of your life. Who know what it will be.

5 Likes