Some Confused Atheists on Reddit

Wow, they promptly banned me from that channel, saying it was “trolling.” I thought atheists cared about things like free speech and all. At least they didn’t delete the comment.

1 Like

Well, that sucks. Mod abuse of power is unfortunately rampant on many (though certainly not all) subbredits.

1 Like

Its okay. I’m now getting enthused about doing an “Ask Me Anything”.

1 Like

Your comment was deleted. I don’t know if that happens automatically when you were banned or if the moderator manually deleted it, but it’s definitely not showing up any more. Same goes for your replies to other comments.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. Pretty dastardly.

Yeah it’s really bad, sorry that happened to you.

1 Like

I sent a message to the moderators strongly urging that they reverse the ban, hopefully they listen to reason.

2 Likes

Thanks! But they might just ban you :confused:

:upside_down_face:

I called it :slight_smile: . Sorry @evograd. I suppose Christians have their fundamentalists, and atheists have theirs.

1 Like

Well the atheists didn’t threaten to burn you at the stake for your blasphemy. :sunglasses: And they didn’t threaten to send your immoral soul to hell. :sunglasses: You can still attend Richard Dawkins meetings if you’d like. But I think you are no longer in the running for a FFRF Secular Humanist Award. :sunglasses:. Sorry. You might still be able to get Jerry Coyne’s cats to like you. :sunglasses:

You knew this was coming from all sides. Let it play out. Hang in there. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not too worried. Just like with ID, much of this is theatre, isn’t it?

To a certain extent it is theater. But a lot of folks are confused about motive. Here is a successful scientist, professor who is a Christian. Why do this? I asked you that a long time ago. I know why and you know why but those who don’t know you look for a sinister motive behind it. Your intentions are admirable but in today’s divisive polarity country, there is no middle for the peacemaker to work from.

2 Likes

I think you are right, and that is why this is important, and also why I can’t do it alone.

They’ve now even deleted the original link to Nathan’s article!

Frankly I’m surprised and impressed that some of you guys took the time to go on r/atheism and correct some misconceptions there. r/atheism isn’t exactly known as the best place for peaceful, friendly dialogue about these issues. I think the anonymous nature of Reddit makes things worse.

2 Likes

Well, this will show those who are willing to listen to ideas that are reasonable but outside of their comfort zone, even if they come to honestly reject the ideas, vs. those who just hear what they want to hear and have a knee-jerk reaction.

3 Likes

And this is exactly why Peaceful Science must continue to move forward. The science/religion internet forum is a “theory” in decay, echo-chamber (epicycle) upon echo-chamber upon echo-chamber. Eventually, heliocentrism will win out, but we must be ready to build our own platform(s) as certain avenues become shut down.

@NLENTS and @swamidass I’ve had my tribe gunning for me in the past. It isn’t pleasant. However, much like the stock market, things tend to correct and move forward – but the emotional roller coaster can be a bitch! Keeping all in MY prayers regardless of whether or not others think the man upstairs is real or not – Cheers!

7 Likes

Wow

A lot of atheists treasure the idea that science and religion are like oil and water and react violently to any idea to the contrary (as can be seen with this idea and surely will be seen more). I don’t know him obviously, but from reading his various writings I’m not really surprised at the reaction. But he and many other people are open to communication of course.

3 Likes

Just remember, only 1 in 7 atheists is anti-religious (If just 1 in 7 atheists are anti-religious, who speaks for atheism? An interview with Dale McGowan - Religion News Service). There are several here at PS that are not anti-religious, and many more in a true silent majority.

Yes. But Jerry Coyne does appear to be of the anti-religious kind.

1 Like