Some "...walks into a bar..." jokes suitable for Peaceful Science

Glasgow isn’t my favorite city in the U.K. either. And speaking of sons, my elder lived in Guilford for a year. We visited him there the last night he did before he moved, and spent the night in his rather barren apartment.

Sounds like he was a student then - everyone else in Guildford is rich nowadays, unlike us post-war kids crawling out of the gutter to get our National Health orange juice or see the Beatles at the Odeon…

No, it was barren because everything was either in boxes or had already been shipped. (He was moving back to Switzerland – he was working for a startup software company that for legal reasons could not be based in the CH, but it had then been purchased by Swisscom, the giant for whom they had been consultants. So then he was being directly employed by Swisscom.)

Dyslexics of the world, untie!

2 Likes

Dyslexic atheists don’t believe in dog.

(And online bloggers who copiously footnote their writings are known for their web cites.)

4 Likes

Arachnologists too! :spider::spider_web:

3 Likes

Did you hear about the two men walking a breast? :o)
Was one of them your son?

You have nothing to louse but your chairs.

I think we have somehow transitioned from dyslexia jokes to Mr. Magoo struggling to read cue cards as a guest host on Saturday Night Live. Or perhaps at his physical for military service:

I’ll bet that @Michael_Callen and @Dan_Eastwood remember Mr. Magoo. I think one of my first exposures to Mr.Magoo was the 1962 prime-time musical holiday special A Christmas Carol where Mr. Magoo found himself playing Ebenezer Scrooge.

2 Likes

A Professor’s Memories from the Classroom

“Martin Luther’s denunciation of the selling of indulgences and his willingness to stand up to church authorities won him the support of the pheasants.”

“Due to Martin Luther’s eccentric diet of worms, he deceased in 1546. And that was the decease that finally killed him.”

(@swamidass, Peaceful Science comic strip ideas are starting to invade my thought processes throughout the day.)

2 Likes

“I know this is late but please accept my term paper because I was giving birth to my daughter in the attached envelope.” [Those were the early days of mini-computer word-processors, circa 1982.]

3 Likes

LOL. English is such a weakly-inflected language so word order is very important.

2 Likes

(… Road hog!!! …)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@Michael_Callen, the young folk probably find us hopelessly lost in nostalgia. (And they would be correct.)

1 Like

Punctuation and blank spaces—which weren’t necessarily used in ancient writings—is also extremely important:

“What is that in the road—a head?”

2 Likes

I understand that the Mr. Magoo character has come under serious attack in recent years under accusations of being an insensitive and inaccurate portrayal of a person with a serious disability.

Of course, cartoons are not necessarily renowned for their accuracy about much of anything. I won’t take a position on whether or not the cartoon is excessively discouraging towards people with vision limitations (and I am one of those people) but I will simply point out that Mr. Magoo always had good intentions, exceptional perseverance, and a heart of goal—and he always won out over any bad guys and the challenges of daily life for a person with compromised eyesight. To that degree, he was a positive role model of the high-functioning and high-achieving person with a disability!

1 Like

He was a poster-child for the mandatory driver’s license review process over a certain age. I don’t know how “high-functioning” he was, but the writers always made the story end well. :slight_smile:

Considering that he flew airplanes and an army tank, tamed lions, and had the starring title role in the world’s first animated TV Christmas special, I would have to admit that he could do a lot of things that I can’t do.

Of course, in my defense, I would point out that he was a cartoon character. That is bound to be a tremendous advantage towards being high-functioning.

1 Like

No one would agree that he could do more than you do now or have done in the past…

Being animated, plus, having a team of writers to fix each situation is beneficial. We should have an app for that. :slight_smile:

Punctuation saves lives!!

“Let’s eat Grandma!”
“Let’s eat, Grandma.”

Of course I remember! Unfortunately I don’t think Mr. Magoo has aged well - I saw part of a Magoo cartoon recently and the humor just wasn’t there.

OTOH, other cartoons are ageless:

Two more words: Rabbit Season. :rofl:

3 Likes