The Argument Clinic

I wonder if the views on Intelligent Design have changed much over the years - the quarter century + since it was proposed. I’m not convinced that they have.
Of course, there are a few people who have changed their minds, maybe going both ways. Josh Swamidass (the founder, I guess you call him, of Peaceful Science) has changed his mind - once being a supporter of ID and now not one.
Joshua and Behe had a debate at Texas A&M University. Have a look. I doubt that even Joshua thinks that he delivered anything that anyone would consider a knockout punch to ID.

Non-scientists like yourself and myself are going to be left largely as spectators at a conference being carried out in a language we don’t understand while at the same time getting a distinct impression that we are being told that ID is bogus (at best) and only hillbillies cling to it. And yet, speaking for myself, when I take snippets that I think I can understand from the non-IDers, they totally fall flat.
Look at the following,

Some will go so far as to claim ID nothing but religion. That is just the oddest thing to me. It has been over a year since I watched the video I linked to above, but I don’t recall Behe doing any praying or quoting of scripture or from biblical commentaries. Same goes for his books.

Hmmm. Kind of like this,

If you watch the video of Joshua and Behe, note, beginning at about 32 minute Joshua starts to talk about the imprecision of using the word ‘Darwinism’, culminating in,
“I haven’t actually yet met a Darwinist in science.”
Well, I’ll be rather forgiving that part of what IDer’s do is push back against Darwinsit’s when they so frequently are content to use the term. (you can check out 1:32:42 in the Joshua/ Behe video for another pushback) (or Dawkins’s, "at some earlier time somewhere in the universe a civilization evolved by probably some kind of Darwinian means.) (and it is the IDer’s that “claim to be doing science, but they aren’t.” that is a bit rich.)
Even this, in response to your very first question,

totally equivocates with the term evolution. I’m very certain that Behe believes as strongly in the reality of ‘evolution’ as our friend.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble I know. I’m a carpenter and not a writer, so it is the best I can do in a limited time.
Let me leave you with a link to the late atheist whom I’m quite fond of, Christopher Hitchens on consensus,

1 Like