Continuing the discussion from Ann Gauger: Did the Human Brain Evolve?:
No, not that.
- @r_speir is a YLC, whose stated position is that all life on earth is less than 6 kya.
- @r_speir now agrees that lake varves demonstrates life actually exists 50 kya ago. “My paradigm may have to be adjusted a little.” Does YEC Science Depend on Bible?
- @r_speir very carefully acknowledges that he is open to more ancient life in prior eras, but will not commit Question to the YLC...Why Not Eras and Epochs?.
So now, we have immense common ground. We agree that:
- The evidence requires him to adjust his views.
- There is a plausible place for him to move.
- It is going to take him time to work though this.
- Yet, for some reason, he cannot move yet.
That is a quite a bit of agreement. That is really interesting. Why can’t he move yet? What is his concern? How does he work through things like this? How does he adjust his view? I’m on the edge of my seat. That is the real game here.
Instead of watching the real show, there is all this static about things we don’t agree about yet. Of course, he is joining in, but it is just a distraction. It seems any solution that @r_speir adopts for the problem we agree with would solve any problems here. With that solution in hand, he would not have any reason to confabulate, distract or defend his position.
What you forget is that the fight-or-flight response is a very effective way of damping down cognitive dissonance, the same dissonance we need to engage directly to improve our understanding. Don’t miss out, and don’t feed the fight-or-flight beast.
Don’t you want to see where he ends up?