Vesuvius and the Evidence for the Resurrection

The documented evidence of Jesus life and ministry is generally accepted. On what basis is the resurrection not accepted?

Seriously?

Do you accept the documented acts of the Greek Gods during the generally accepted Trojan war? If not, why not?

2 Likes

No. These acts are generally accepted as myths.

Over half the population believes in resurrection as a an act of God. Elijah prayed and resurrected a child during his time on earth.

Why is that?

They are now, but for many centuries they were not.

2 Likes

A good question. Honestly I don’t think I am showing tribalism, because I switched tribes, and I exist in an uneasy middle ground where I am regularly mocked by both tribes.
I think we are all showing bias here, how could we not? However as a general rule of thumb I distrust anyone from either side whose conclusions too neatly fit their prior assumptions without any signs that they have tried to understand the other side.

1 Like

That’s your argument? “It’s true because people believe it’s true”? Seriously?

2 Likes

Yes a clear difference.

The only difference is that history has not yet progressed to the point that Christianity joins the ash heap of all the other religions that humans once believed were real. Can you provide any good reason that it should be an exception?

1 Like

Does the documented information in the Ramayana also become more credible? I doubt you think so. It’s specifically the Christian (or at least Judeo-Christian) god you need.

Beg pardon?

Do you think that most non-Christian bible scholars are in that group?

A post was split to a new topic: What does theology study?

I think it puts all creation based origin explanations in a stronger position.

annihilation

So why don’t you come here touting the Ramayana?

2 Likes

What do you think the Ramayana explains?

Why do you answer a question with a question?

2 Likes

I giving you the benefit of the doubt that your question has some value. At this point I cannot see any.

But why should I think the Ramayana explains anything? I don’t think the bible explains anything. You’re the one who claims that the Ramayana should be credible, because the universe was created. So why are you ignoring it?

2 Likes

Is this a serious comment?

Another self-referential comment?

1 Like

I have to say, picking up on a comment you made earlier, I am a bit disappointed in the Christian members of this group who have by and large given Bill a pass when he uses the same sort of rhetorical ploys to support the resurrection of Jesus as he does when arguing for creationism. That one might share Bill’s belief in the resurrection does not excuse his use of faulty logic and misrepresentation of scholarly research. Unless I’ve forgotten something, the only Christian who has taken him to task has been a creationist (@vjtorley).

3 Likes

I agree with you. Sadly my time is limited and I don’t always have time to participate in discussions that interest me. Trying to correct every mistake on the internet is beyond my capabilities. So please do not assume a lack of comments from me means I endorse it.

2 Likes