What Books Do the Scholars Recommend for Lay People?

For physics and cosmology I highly recommend Ethan Siegal. He write for Forbes Magazine, but has many older article freely available online.

2 Likes

Be careful with Ethan Siegel; he is no longer a scientist who is actively doing science, and has been called out before (multiple times) by people who actually work in astronomy/astrophysics. Check out this saga for example: https://twitter.com/DudeDarkmatter/status/1022803635862949888

He also padded a huge percentage of his article on semi-relevant background information, as if he has a minimum word count that he has to hit for every article.

3 Likes

I went on a physics kick a while back and read through a few of the modern classics. A few recommendations:

Iā€™m sure Zukav gets some of the physics wrong, but this is more of a cultural touchstone that is worth a read. Itā€™s Feynman meets Woodstock.

For a more straight laced approach to physics, some of Michio Kakuā€™s books are enjoyable:

Thanks for the further responses all. My list is growing

Another vote for ā€œYour Inner Fishā€, ā€œThe Selfish Geneā€, and Carl Zimmer. Iā€™ll also really enjoyed ā€œGenomeā€ by Matt Ridley, but I read that in college circa 2005/06, so Iā€™m not sure how it hold ups.