What if Adam was just a character in an Ancient Creation Story?

It’s not the presence of stone tools that I am contesting. It’s that those who made them were human.
We have discussed this before.

Who made them?

God did. Just like he made all other living things.

So God made all the stone tools bandied about. I see. And did he leave the good ones there on the ground so that humans could come along, pick them up, and Bamb! smash Bambi’s skull?

No… God made the hominids who made the tool… I didn’t realise you were speaking about the tools… what makes you think the ability to make primitive stone tools should be exclusive to the human species?

Yes, all of the genus Homo and possibly the Australopithecus. But if humans only had a 500 year stone age, how did all these trillions of tools get made?

Sure, why not. We just don’t know. God didn’t tell us. One of the messages of Genesis is that God as engaging with people outside the Abrahamic line. Hamar receives, for example, the first annunciation. We don’t know the story of these people with God, because Scripture didn’t tell us. Maybe he had a story with them.

4 Likes

Obviously you are not defining "human’ as restricted to a species.which means humanity is not defined by biology in this case.
What is the definition that you are ascribing to humanity?
Is it all animals that walk upright and make atleast stone tools?
What’s the justification for such a definition. What if I went with some other definition…
Perhaps something like a Turing test.
Is there some basis to say it’s a wrong definition?

Could a homo erectus pass the Turing test?

One of the unfortunate results of those who mostly look at Genesis to count the years in the genealogies and extrapolate from that the age of the earth, or who read in to it dinosaurs in Noah’s Ark for “scientific” validation, is they miss a lot of things Genesis is trying to say. Then the rest of us go down their rabbit trail trying to address that, so we get focused on supposed problems and that crowds out the significant themes in the text.

3 Likes

Let me rephrase my question, if there were only 500 years for all creatures - humans and animals to make stone tools - how did trillions of them get made in that short a time period?

Why would there be only 500 years?

That is what you said.

How long were humans and pre-humans making stone tools?

I don’t remember stipulating any such time limit… can you clarify?