"Why Evolution Does Not Make the Problem of Evil Worse"

@misterme987: I notice you are carefully avoiding my main point – that @Rope’s argument was (again) blatantly fallacious.

I have not “claimed” that he is an apologist. I have said things about apologists on this thread. Whether you think that I was “insinuating” that Rope is one with these comments would depend on whether you think “the shoe fits” – in that the comments about apologists also describes Rope.

I would however note that the video he linked to above is to an apologetics ministry, whose apologetic efforts he himself was aiding.

Bluntly, no. Neither the ‘Problem of Evil’ nor the relationship between Design and Evolution are ‘just theology’. Both are issues closely related to apologetics – the former via theodicy (a major topic for apologetics), the latter via Intelligent Design Creationist apologetics.

No it is not “mostly a philosophical debate between theologians”.

This should be obvious from the title. Evolutionary Biology is Science not Theology. Design, both in context of evolution, and as it is used within this book, overlaps fairly heavily with “Intelligent Design” – a pseudoscientific apologetic effort to discredit Evolutionary Biology. Little, if anything in this book is ‘just theology’ or ‘just philosophy’.

His Chapter 4 is the most blatant example – it is chock full of IDC claptrap. This reaches its zenith in 4.3 with him claiming:

As biologists increasingly talk of “laws of form” underlying evolutionary development, the role of natural selection and mutation in explaining biological form seems comparatively less all-encompassing.

It turns out that it was not “biologists” talking about this at all – but just Michael Denton, a biochemist and ID proponent, with little prominence outside the ID echo chamber. Beyond Denton, "the phrase “laws of form” seems to be used exclusively in the context of G. Spencer-Brown’s book of the same name about mathematics and philosophy.

Apologetics need not be aimed at “any lay people” – it may be aimed at providing other apologists with material and/or intellectual cover.

If you are interested in the forum’s views on this book, there were four threads on the topic:

The problem being that while ‘The Problem of Evil’ may be a problem for theists, and thus for theologians too, it is a problem that has its basis in a factual issue – animal suffering, not a theological or philosophical issue. “Philosophical debate”, lacking an informed opinion on this factual issue, is just so much idle speculation and hearsay.

1 Like