After 40 years, 'megachurch' pastor slams Christianity and quits, deacon

21 posts were split to a new topic: Patric and Dale At It Again

Perhaps this Pastor Gass needed someone to come alongside him with a loving admonition similar to the one given below to leaders a couple of thousand yrs ago:

12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. 13 But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. Hebrews ch 3

2 Likes

Perhaps you should leave Dave Gass alone, he is one of us now and will be getting on with his life as a good human being. :sunglasses:

Hi Patrick: did you not once tell me that you thought Jesus was a good moral teacher? But He disagrees with you here in His reply to the “rich young ruler” who thought he was good that: "No one is good except God alone. 20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” 21 And he said, “All these I have kept from my youth.” 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Like I said, leave the guy alone. He is one of “us” now and needs to be left alone to live and enjoy his new life free of the lies and myths.

I dont know the man but would not be too quick to assume that his life is free of “lies.” The pattern i see in men abandoning our Creator God like this is that normally a big lie is following them out the door.

Hows the weather there in New Jersey?

The weather is improving - sunny and cool today after three days of rain.

This isn’t a competitive sport where we keep score of each convert that switches teams. There are many atheists who have gone into the church, and vice versa. This is just how human beings are.

4 Likes

Thanks for that. Life directions played out as “competitive sports” makes losers of us all. Better to strive for mutual understanding, since we have one thing in common --we’re all human beings.
I’ll go on to mention, but not with “competition” in mind, that we all share having been “made in God’s image,” and that He works actively to reconcile with each of us.
Sounds like pastor Gass ran out of gas… which is exactly when God comes swooping in. My two cents!

1 Like

Im so curious what you mean by this “purity culture” Hebrews 12:14 commands us to “strive” for holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

According to the next verse there in Hebrews, this striving is grounded in saving grace that places ones gaze upon Another who created us by speaking us into existence and who recreates us when we, by faith trust Him for salvation.

If this Mr. Gass trusted himself to perform a program of self righteous purity, then he misses the mark. If he trusts Christ, “through who all things are created” for carrying him into eternity, where the reaction should be one of reverence to God, there is power to overcome the world as well as impurity of the flesh.

I have no idea what you are saying here. Are you just role playing in an act and saying ridiculous things to get a rise out of us? Sexual immorality is a serious offense against a holy God. And the Bible says that those w a propensity for unrepentant sexually immoral behavior and thinking as defined in Scripture will not inherit the kingdom of God. I would be an unloving nasty person if i withheld this from you and the listening audience!

I agree. @Djordje what are you saying? You seem to be striving for division, here.

No, no, I’m not. He asked, I answered. I’ll delete it if you want, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

I didn’t ask you to delete anything. I’m just trying to figure out what the point is of this kind of dialog. You started up with me the other day about a FB page slamming evangelical Christians. You seem almost giddy to share this stuff. I just don’t see what the point is, except division.

This is utterly ridiculous. How can sexual immorality be an offense against a god who many believe to be fictional and imaginary when the purveyors of those sexual acts don’t consider it immoral at all? And what business do YOU have in knowing about (and judging) any sexual activity between any consenting adults? In this country it the right of every consenting adult to do or not do any sexual act they can imagine with any other consenting adult.

Please, just stop. It is unbelievably ridiculous to have this discussion. All sin is against God. If there is no God, there is no sin. Belief in God comes with rules, and people who believe in God aspire to follow them. If you don’t believe, just leave it alone, but there can be no conclusion to this, otherwise, because there is no fundamental agreement to begin with.@patrick

No, I am not going to stop. For centuries, this myth of sin against God has been use to demonized people for expressing their own sexuality. People have been killed for admonitions against God. Sexual expression is a Human Right. Every human being is free to love in any way that they’d like. It is NOT immoral, nor a sin. Sin is imaginary. Sin against an imaginary God is INSANITY.

Arguments over intangibles is insanity. No one can prove anything. We’re two deaf people arguing about Mozart. Congrats. If that’s the big purpose in your life, so be it.

1 Like

He doesn’t have better atheist things to do.

Yes I have a lot of things to do, like getting rid of the unconstitutional abortion law that Christians are imposing on all woman (Christian or not) in Alabama.