Ancient Andean genomes show distinct adaptations to farming and altitude

Ancient populations in the Andes of Peru adapted to their high-altitude environment and the introduction of agriculture in ways distinct from other global populations that faced similar circumstances.

1 Like

I wonder if they have any Denisovan in them?

2 Likes

That’s a very interesting question especially considering evidence the Americas were colonized from tribes crossing from Asia via the Siberian land bridge. That’s pretty much a straight pipeline from the Denisovans. I wonder if some Genetics or Anthropology grad student is working on the issue even as we speak?

2 Likes

I have a feeling it is in this book:

@evograd, would you be willing to do a series of summaries of the chapters in this book to publish here? If so, I’ll buy you a copy and, finally, give you feedback on your Jeanson review :smile:.

1 Like

I did some quick searching, found this 2016 paper.

The Combined Landscape of Denisovan and Neanderthal Ancestry in Present-Day Humans

Looks like South Americans do have a touch of Denisovan in them, but not near as much as those in Oceania (south Pacific, N. Australia)

3 Likes

Nice. Now it will be interesting to see if the part they do have helps them a high altitude. That would be a very interesting story.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I ordered the book on my own dime last week and it’s shipping from the US so won’t get here for another 4 weeks or so. I’d be happy to summarise the chapters here when I read it though.

It is a great book, you will enjoy it. What amazed me most of that book was that there a over 4000 ancient genomes that have been sequenced but not yet analyzed nor published.

1 Like