Ceasings on the Lord's Day

Continuing the discussion from What is white Western Christianity?:

One thing in the western church that has been striking me for the last four decades or so is the lack of the Lord’s Day ceasings that are to me, and I more than suspect to my Father as well, included in the laws of love that we should want to be obeying. I don’t think I could be convinced that 1 John 5:3 was intended to be ironic (cf. Jeremiah 17:21).

I’m not sure what to make of this. Are you arguing for Seventh Day Adventism?

What’s your position on having meat and dairy at the same meal, wearing mixed fabrics, eating pork, and so on?

No. See The Lord’s Day of Rest

Suffice it to say those are peripheral laws (dietary, hygiene, etc.) that no longer apply. And it’s off topic. You can start a new conversation if you’re curious enough to pursue it.

How can you determine which laws are peripheral and no long apply and which laws are laws we should want to be obeying? Also, what exactly are “Lord’s Day ceasings”?

1 Like

Another topic, but… There is a distinction between moral law (you shall not commit adultery, steal, covet, murder, lie, use God’s name casually, …), ceremonial law (temple worship, sacrifices, ceremonial days, etc.), dietary (not eating pork that might give you trichinosis), sanitary laws (about blood, hand washing…) and civil law (e.g., cities of refuge).

That wasn’t an answer. Nor did you answer the second question.

1 Like

Under which category do these “ceasings” fall? And just what are they?

I don’t care. This conversation is about ceasings on the Lord’s Day, and I’m primarily interested in feedback from Christians.

Since the commandment to rest is in ‘The Big Ten’, it gets included in moral law, and for other reasons, some of which are noted in my little essay, linked above.

In brief, not doing unnecessary labor or commerce on the Lord’s Day.

1 Like

That rewrites scripture.

I think he is talking about the old Blue Laws. I’m glad those went away.

Thanks. Anyway, I think the answer to your question is simple an obvious: It’s a silly law which few people want, and just because it was written down in a book thousands of years ago is not a good reason to follow a rule.

Is “Lord’s Day ceasings” a technical term used by some particular cult? Does anyone know?

I’ve not heard of it before. I’ve always heard Sabbath or Sabbath rest.

‘Ceasings’ as a plural noun is not difficult to understand. It means things you stop doing. And it is not a term I coined nor one exclusive to a cult. I could grant that it might most frequently be associated with things you don’t do on the Sabbath, seventh day or first day. Google is our friend (most of the time :slightly_smiling_face:): Sabbath ceasings.

Not really, if you read with an understanding heart and mind. And I’m pretty sure your heart doesn’t care, except that it cares about tearing down Christianity.

No, I am not into tearing down Christianity. But I do like honesty.

The honest view, as I see it, is that scripture calls for the sabbath to be a day of rest. And the sabbath is usually understood to be Saturday.

The early church switched to Sunday, and called it “The Lord’s Day”. I don’t see anything wrong with that. But there is something wrong with referring to it as part of the commandments.

2 Likes

But it isn’t your friend, as there are exactly zero hits on that phrase. Google wants to know, first, if you meant “Sabbath casings”, whatever that is. Second, the phrase “Sabbath ceasings” was returned zero times, and even “ceasings”, plural, was never returned either. What you got was a number of documents in which the words “Sabbath” and “ceasing” appeared. Are you sure you didn’t coin the term? You can’t find it anywhere else, as you demonstrated.

2 Likes