Diabolical Arguments

@John_Harshman

The only other topic that hues anywhere close to the GAE mission is responding to I.D. assertions.

Can you propose a 3rd area of legitimate discussion?

2 Likes

We’ve been discussing religion in this very thread while you’re talking over us and claiming we can’t discuss religion.

But in any case, there’s a reason this forum is called Peaceful Science and not Peaceful Religion.

3 Likes

@misterme987

No. I am assessing the detrimental effect of word choice in one of our mission statements.

The wording, here and elsewhere, needs revision to keep advancing the focus of GAE.

@misterme987

Science CAN peacefully accept the existence of a limited number of religious ideas.

Do you think PeacefulScience should include attempts to convince Evangelicals that the whole field of theism is irrational and void?

If so, how exactly does such discussion breed trust?

No one is asserting that. Discussing religious ideas isn’t the same as trying to convince others that they’re wrong. And if some are doing that, there are people on the other side trying to convince them of the opposite thing.

2 Likes

Well, I’m curious about what you do in your spare time, when you aren’t busy telling other people what they should and shouldn’t talk about.

4 Likes

Speaking of “Diabolical Arguments”, can anybody present a widely-accepted definition of science that “CAN peacefully accept the existence of a limited number of religious ideas”?

Are you suggesting that science is completely incompatible with religion? Of course science can’t assess the claims of religion, but that’s not the same as saying that it can’t coexist with religion. There are many religious scientists, and as far as I know, they’re not all victims of severe cognitive dissonance.

4 Likes

I can’t think of ANY definition of science that would (or could) deny the existence of religious ideas. You should reword your question to make it something other than preposterous.

2 Likes

@John_Harshman

What is good for the goose is good for goose is good for the gander…

If you can’t propose a 3rd category, isnt that consistent with my complaints?

Try to imagine my multi-year frustration with PS.org’s campaign to “build trust” being pummeled to smithereens by the endless repetition that humans dont need God to explain any part of creation!?

No. I am merely suggesting that religious ideas are not amenable to the scientific methodology, and thus that science cannot either “accept” or reject religious ideas.

Similarly, aesthetic ideas are not amenable to the scientific methodology, so science cannot either “accept” or reject them That does not mean that “science is completely incompatible with” aesthetics.

I would suggest that there is a middle ground between “deny[ing]” and “accept[ing]” something. There is the position of not having an opinion or, further, that an opinion cannot be formed within the methodology under consideration.

(Parenthetically, this does not however mean that science cannot settle empirical claims, even when those empirical claims may be the result of religious ideas.)

So I repeat my question, with an (I would think) obvious clarification:

can anybody present a widely-accepted definition of science that “CAN peacefully accept [NOT merely fail-to-deny] the existence of a limited number of religious ideas”?

1 Like

Who said I couldn’t? You don’t answer my questions, and I see no need to answer yours. Your multi-year frustration is a phenomenon inside your head. Why is it, do you think, that you’re the only one complaining?

1 Like

Why aren’t they? I would say that some are and some aren’t. YEC, for example, is a religious idea. Are you saying that it can’t be falsified? Granted, we need to make certainly auxiliary assumptions about what God would or would not have done (not falsify the record, for example), but given those YEC is easily testable. By science!

Please note that I also wrote:

The existence of a global flood in the last few thousand years, for example, would appear to be an “empirical claim”, so an explicit exception to my original point.

However purely religious ideas, like “what does it mean for humanity to be created ‘in the image of God’?” or “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?” would appear not to be amenable to scientific resolution – if for no other reason than that science would seem incapable of developing a scientifically-meaningful definition of “God” or “angel”.

In fact, if you take “accept” to include “neither accept nor deny”, as @misterme987 & @sfmatheson appear to have above, I would still question whether science that “CAN peacefully accept the existence of [only] a limited number of religious ideas” – but for a near-opposite reason – that I think that far more than merely a “limited” number of religious ideas can be neither accepted nor denied, as only a tiny fraction of religious ideas would seem to entail empirical claims.

1 Like

I agree, but the problem is that your sentence refers to the existence of such ideas, and that makes the whole paragraph look sloppy and inane.

Do you mean to ask about a definition – better thought of, in my opinion as a view – of science that accept a (limited number of) religious ideas? If so, I think the answer is obviously yes since you haven’t done the real work of defining what a “religious idea” is.

1 Like

This relies on the definition of “purely religious idea”, which seems unclear. If we accept that it means “untestable idea” or “idea with no consequences for data” then of course you’re right by definition, and science can have no intersection with such ideas. Language is causing all sorts of problems here. Accepting the existence of a religious idea is not at all the same thing as accepting the idea or finding it useful. It isn’t quite clear what is being claimed, so hard to know whether to accept that claim.

1 Like

A few points:

1. As PS’s lengthy Mission and Values page appears to make no explicit mention of GAE (beyond citing the book as a reference), it is hard to see how the GAE is a “mission” of this site that is more “legitimate” than any other.

2. Given that this site’s mission is to be “peaceful”, and the lack of of any non-vacuous content within ID nearly-ubiquitously leads discussion between scientists and IDers to be acrimonious, it is questionable the extent to which engagement of ID is encompassed within this site’s mission.

3. I would suggest that any peaceful discussion of science would count as an “area of legitimate discussion”.

4 Likes

The passage “refer[ing] to the existence of such ideas” was a quote, not my own.

If you feel that the concept of “religious idea” is insufficiently clear, then the answer would seem to be “obviously” ‘I don’t know’ rather than “yes”. :slight_smile:

Can you come up with any sensible definition of “religious ideas” for which science would “accept”/‘give agreement to’ even a limited number of them?

I would have thought it was reasonably clear from the context that a “purely religious idea” was one that did not “entail empirical claims.” This, as I said, would seem to encompass the vast bulk of religious ideas.

“Accepting the [bare] existence” of any idea is tautological, once the idea has been stated – it’s mere statement is incontrovertible proof of the idea’s existence. I was assuming that the statement that I was merely quoting meant more than this utterly trivial point.

But given that everybody is more interested in splitting hairs (and not even my own hairs, but somebody else’s that I was merely quoting), I see no point in continuing this further.

No flouncing, please. It’s difficult to tell what people are saying at several points in this thread, so the hairs must be split if we’re to understand any of it. Is your understanding of what @gbrooks9 said the same as his? Is it the same as @sfmatheson’s? That’s by no means clear.