Does God Adequately Avail Himself to Man?

Thankfully there’s zero evidence any of the genocide stories ever took place. But there is and can be no good excuse for genocide. God has apparently commanded genocide, so I’m out. I like God’s that don’t command genocide better than God’s that do. I know, I’m weird in this way.

The funny thing about the bible, purportedly inspired by God himself, is that it would be so easy to improve it. How about replacing the commandments that are essentially all about not insulting God, with commandments about washing hands after having been to the bathroom, and not being violent towards children, or using women as breeding cattle for men in positions of power?

Imagine the Bible, exactly the way it is now, just without the genocide stories. Which instead says to never commit genocide, full stop. To not worry or ever start or pursue conflict with people just because they have other Gods. That’s an improved Bible. Imagine the Bible with it’s commandments to stone adulterers at the city gates removed, and replaced with commandments to forgive them.

Imagine a considerably more pacifist bible, one that never mentions or speaks about witchcraft, doesn’t say stuff like “not suffering witches to live”, and which doesn’t suggest demonic possessions as explanations for people with epilepsy or mental health disorders. Imagine if the bible didn’t contain these ridiculous Iron and Bronze-age superstitious fictions.

Imagine…

You link didn’t work for me, here’s another:

2 Likes

I guess I could call y’all ‘tree-huggers’. :slightly_smiling_face:

You make a good point. There is a theoretical distinction. However, in practice rejection of God’s existence and rejection of submitting to his will seems to be closely coupled together. A human who initially does the latter easily resorts to the former, as it makes more sense to deny that God exists than to affirm that he does but still refusing to submit to him. I can’t speak for your particular situations, but there are several New Atheists (such as Dawkins, I think) who have notably asserted that even if the Christian God existed, they wouldn’t want to submit to him.

The assumption here is that all of us are exactly like Michael. But that’s clearly a fallacious assumption. Michael is a completely different person than you or me, in terms of past experiences and personal tendencies. God might also have a different plan for Michael compared to others. He also has different plans for people who are related to Michael who might be affected by his death or survival. It could be that in the circumstance that Michael was in, God providing the porta-potty to save his life made complete sense. You’re trying to make God’s love conform to a limited quantitative model which doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t even make sense for human love.

Yes, human scientific rationality is what I use when doing physics. It’s not what I use in the rest of my life though - in my interactions with others, and my interactions with God. It’s certainly NOT the only way we have to determine truth.

I didn’t say that the image of God is corrupted to the point that we can’t reason at all or even not know God at all. As Romans 1:20 says, “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.” In the Christian worldview, even pagans are expected to be able to perceive God at some level. And it is clear throughout history that God is able to communicate to his people via prophets and written revelation. So there is a good reason to trust that our rational faculties work well enough to be able to perceive God.

Being rational enough to be able to do science is a different issue from being able to rationally perceive God. I don’t think the corruption of the Image of God has much to do with it.

Of course, it could be the case that doing science could be seen as a way of perceiving God. Many scientists have remarked on the beauty of the scientific laws they discovered. Certainly as a Christian scientist I tend more and more towards this view. It is a privilege to be able to see the success of major theories in physics.

1 Like

Well, the Bible is supposed to be a book for the ages. It was written in an ancient context. If it came out bearing 21st century moral norms, do you think the ancient people would agree to it? They would likely have similar complaints as you. You can’t satisfy everyone. Rather than trying to judge the Bible using 21st-century standards, you should try to distill what it is trying to teach given its historical and cultural context, and see if they apply well to today.

A similar quote from philosopher Thomas Nagel:

In speaking of the fear of religion, I don’t mean to refer to the entirely reasonable hostility toward certain established religions and religious institutions, in virtue of their objectionable moral doctrines, social policies, and political influence. Nor am I referring to the association of many religious beliefs with superstition and the acceptance of evident empirical falsehoods. I am talking about something much deeper—namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that.

The Last Word, Oxford University Press, 1997, pp. 130-131.

1 Like

I agree with Dawkins, but that doesn’t make a connection between rejection and unbelief, and it especially doesn’t make a causal connection from rejection to unbelief.

That’s a universal escape: everything that happens to anyone, bad or good, must be part of God’s plan. God’s plan for many people apparently involves killing them, perhaps under torture, and then continuing to torture them forever. Tough love indeed.

What else you got?

It appears to be corrupted just in the places and times convenient to your point. Rather too convenient, if you ask me. Can’t trust what I think, but we can trust what you think.

I sympathize by how the solution seems intellectually unsatisfying. But it would be incoherent for a Christian to suggest otherwise. The Bible literally teaches that we do not know God’s plans. This is perfectly logical. If God exists, then we would not be able to understand all of His plans. It would be like trying to understand a computer program that simulates the entire universe. Even if you are not a Christian, can’t you see that it makes logical sense for a Christian not to claim that he can understand why God does certain things?

We keep going back to this every few threads. This time, thankfully @AllenWitmerMiller has written a summary of what kinds of truths are known not through the scientific method.

I don’t certainly claim to know all the answers, John. I’ve admitted many times, including in this thread, that none of these arguments are airtight. It is just my explanation of why the Christian worldview makes a lot of sense within its own boundaries. To argue for why you should adapt the Christian worldview, there are some good rational arguments, but they are not conclusive. You still need to take that existential leap of faith.

Not even remotely. I’m fully convinced Kim Jon Un exists, and I would read his orbituary with pleasure.

“Seems”?

Yes, perhaps in some cases. But we’re talking about almost everything. Typically people who talk about this generally cherry-pick a few events and claim to understand it, like a porta-potty placed just so in order to save your life. And yet the vast majority of people who crash into things like that die because the porta-potty wasn’t there, but the reasons for those deaths are the parts of God’s plan we don’t understand. This is indistinguishable from wishful thinking.

It wasn’t the scientific method we were talking about, just human rationality. What are the non-rational or non-human ways of determining truth?

To put it mildly. I would say that none of these arguments make any sense at all. Tomato tomahto?

Who cares? They’re supposed to be God’s commandments. Whether you like them or not shouldn’t be a concern of God’s.

If anything, it would be fully nuts of God to first create humans, then create moral rules and norms they dislike and are destined to fail to live up to. Talk about being incompetent as a creator.

They would likely have similar complaints as you. You can’t satisfy everyone.

I’m sure you can’t satisfy everyone, but you can start by not commanding and condoning particular genocides. How’s that? Is that really too much to ask? I don’t think so.

Rather than trying to judge the Bible using 21st-century standards, you should try to distill what it is trying to teach given its historical and cultural context, and see if they apply well to today.

I believe genocide was wrong in the bronze age too.

What you’re saying is like saying american slavery was just fine for it’s time. That’s just what the culture was like in the US at the time, we can’t judge american slavery by 20th or 21st century standards.

Oddly, you’re essentially espousing moral relativism. Very surprising coming from a Christian I have to say.

You literally just said that you don’t think the God of the Bible is worth following. Do you honestly think that your rejection of the evidence for the existence of God is not connected at all to your assessment of the moral nature of God? Not even at a subconscious level?

Even from a rational standpoint, this makes sense. If you think Christianity is immoral, then that makes you more predisposed to favor atheistic arguments.

(And I don’t claim to be free from personal bias either, btw.)

Exactly. Which is why the proper response for anyone reading God’s commandments in any age is to understand them properly in their historical and cultural context and then submit to them. This doesn’t mean endorsing genocide, as it is clear that the Bible as a whole doesn’t condone it.

If you were born during the bronze age, you would likely view that genocide of your enemies was morally acceptable, or at least less morally abhorrent than they would be to you now.

Maybe you should take a step back and reread my positions more carefully, instead of misrepresenting my views so grossly. I’m certainly not advocating moral relativism.

2 Likes

In Christianity, revelation is indispensable as a way of knowing. We can only intuit general notions of what God is like, but not his more specific properties (such as the Trinity) nor how to have a relationship with God.

When I come here on Peaceful Science, I start with the presumption that there are many reasonable people who have very different viewpoints than mine, even if their beliefs might seem completely ridiculous to me at first. This is how I learn and benefit from listening to others. In fact, I have conceded points to people multiple times, acknowledging that within their worldview and with their assumptions, their beliefs could make sense.

For example, I acknowledge that the problem of suffering is difficult. It is especially emotionally difficult, and the Bible doesn’t provide an intellectual solution to it. It does provide an existential one though: to trust in God such that you can encounter him, as Job did.

Secondly, I acknowledge that sometimes it does make me wonder why God is so apparent to some people, yet so non-apparent to others. I am able to give you some reasons why that may be the case, but I admit that I don’t know all the answers either.

In contrast, you seem to come here with almost no intent to try to understand others. What you do not understand, you think as nonsensical. That is the difference between us.

Well I didn’t literally say that. I don’t think the God of the Bible is a morally good God, and I’d prefer a morally good God to a morally corrupt one.

Do you honestly think that your rejection of the evidence for the existence of God is not connected at all to your assessment of the moral nature of God?

Yes. Without question. I used to be a christian. At no point did my deconversion ever revolve around a particular interpretation of scripture. My issue has always been epistemological. I’m not even sure exactly what started it, but over time I started to question my beliefs and realized to have good reasons for believing anything, I needed good evidence. I suppose in some sense I realized that method was more important than conclusion.

I realized that the reason that I believed in the first place was because I was raised to, and the reason I kept believing was because I had a tendency to always rationalize away the lack of evidence, or evidence against the existence of God (perhaps I’m just not worthy to see good evidence? Perhaps God just has some sort of plan and I need to be more devout? etc. etc.)

So I realized I had no good evidence to justify my beliefs, and even worse for my own rationalizations, which I were literally just making up. It slowly dawned on me that I didn’t have any good reasons for believing my own rationalizations in the first place. I understood that I was basically just making up excuses. So I had not started to believe for a good reason at all, I was just raised to, and I didn’t sustain my belief for any good reason either, it was just rationalizing away lack of evidence.

Once I realized this was what I was doing, I gradually stopped believing. I literally had to remind myself to stop making up rationalizations and then believe them. For the longest time I didn’t even consider the character of God as depicted in the bible, though once I no longer believed, it later did became obvious to me both how nonsensical and morally corrupt it all was. That was years later though.

Not even at a subconscious level?

Not even a smidgeon. Obviously if I have subconscious thoughts, I’m not aware of them. You can of course just conjecture that I don’t accept your arguments because I somehow subconscious am primed against them (which, ironically, is one of those rationalizations I caught myself doing all the time), but I can of course just do the same with you.

That doesn’t seem to be particularly conducive to persuasion I think.

Even from a rational standpoint, this makes sense. If you think Christianity is immoral, then that makes you more predisposed to favor atheistic arguments.

It would at best make me predisposed against particular interpretations of Christian theism. The God I used to believe in was way more liberal than what you find in typical american Christian circles. There are certainly many kinds of Gods, and afterlives, and things like justice, accountability and so on I would find welcoming news. I really dislike the idea that an asshole like Kim Jong-Un will probably get away with it. He will live a fat happy long life abusing his entire country. I’d like there to be some sort of accountability. I’d like the opportunity to meet long lost loved ones, and perhaps to get insights into some of life’s big mysteries in another life. All of that would just as much predispose me to want to believe in some kind of God, as you think I am predisposed against the existence of your brand of the Christian one.

But I just don’t see how this kind of “you just don’t accept it because you don’t want to” kind of argument can lead us anywhere. All the same kinds of arguments here could be turned back against you. You only believe because you’re afraid you’ll be punished if you don’t, and because you are predisposed against accepting your own mortality, bla bla bla. Are you convinced by this? Do you find it persuasive? I suspect not. Don’t expect it to be for me either.

1 Like

I certainly don’t believe you are a moral relativist, or think of yourself in those terms, but the argument you made essentially was a relativist one. You have argued what seems effectively to be that at some point in history, God commanding genocides would have been okay because they were morally acceptable by the people in that time and cultural context. In what way is that not a relativist argument?

1 Like

Not from a rational standpoint, it doesn’t. That’s an irrational standpoint.

Exactly. We should only condone it when God commands us to do it. That’s the clear message. We should always listen for God’s instructions about who to kill and when.

And God would have agreed. Are you sure you want to go with that?

Yeah, I don’t accept revelation as a way of knowing. For one thing, revelations tend to contradict each other. Your revelations contradict Mohammed’s, Joseph Smith’s, Mary Baker Eddy’s, and so on. How have you managed to choose the right ones? And there’s no justification for believing revelation.

You’re wrong about the first. I am extremely interested in understanding. But some things are actually nonsensical, or at least wrong. I don’t think it’s my lack of understanding in the present case. I think it’s my lack of belief, because belief seems to be a prerequisite for thinking that some things make sense. A likely explanation to me is bias. The view from outside can be clearer than the view from inside, and I think that’s working here.

I don’t think it’s irrational to acknowledge that people likely are biased to favor arguments that are closer to what they already believe. This applies to everyone, not just religious people. A good example of this is central to this website: theistic evolutionists accepting without careful examination of the evidence that evolutionary biology rules out all models of Adam and Eve. This is why @swamidass’s realizing that this is not true is more remarkable, because went against what his “camp” expected, for example.

Another example on the atheist side: Tim O’Neill’s History for Atheists site, which corrects many examples of New Atheist misunderstanding of history.

And in Christianity we are clearly asked to test every spirit by going back to the Scriptures (1 John 4:1), which are more authoritative over any sort of revelation anyone claims to have received from God today. In this case, genocide clearly violates Jesus’ command in the Sermon on the Mount, “love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matthew 5:44).

He would not agree that in general, it is acceptable to commit genocide on your enemies. You are simply misreading the Bible.

Revelation is not the only way of knowing. We also need to combine it with reason to help us distinguish which revelation is true, and how to interpret revelation properly.

Do you think you have some personal beliefs which are explained by your own anti-religious bias?

1 Like