Evolution, Biologos, and the Classroom

n = 0?

2 Likes

Good question! (I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever met such a person.)

1 Like

???

Let me start over: Is the FFRF officially involved in trying to get Van Dordrecht ordered not to post on Biologos?

I made a second complaint to the FFRF legal intake system about Ms. Van Dordrechtā€™s publications on the Biologos website. I asked them to investigate this and, if appropriate, to write a letter to the California Department of Education to make a formal complaint. It will be up to the California Department of Education to take the appropriate action. Recall that after the first publication, it was decided to give her a pass as she may have been unaware of the Constitutional ramifications. This time no such courtesy will be given.

Did I come in late? What was the first publication? What did the FFRF do at that time? Do you actually know that the FFRF will take action on the current case?

Hmmmā€¦

I am employee of a large state university, and I teach students who may someday end up at the teaching primary and secondary levels. Conceivably, I am shaping future science curricula in so doing.

I also contribute a website that is unabashedly Christian and decidedly not neutral when it comes to the matter of compatibility of science and Christian faith. Worse, I have not argued against the proposition that science and Christian faith are compatible.

Patrick, does this mean that you are going to go back and screen all of my posts here for more transgressions?

When FFRF notifies my employer of these transgressions, will they send me a copy of the letter? If not, could you ask them to send me one? For my souvenir bin?

I was so hoping that it would be Jay Sekulow who would contact me to complain about my interweb offerings about evolution and the like. I donā€™t know what to think that it may be FFRF who beats him to the punch, in a manner of speaking. Disappointed? Amused? Confused? Who knows ā€¦

6 Likes

Note, do not interpret any of this as endorsing one argument or another. Iā€™m just linking to the two prior conversations of relevance here. In particular, @Art thanks for contributing here.

Ann Van Dordrecht was discussed once before. @Patrick might have been more clear in the rationale of his objection in the prior thread, maybe: Biologos: People To Ponder. Hopefully @Kathryn_Applegate will make an appearance here again.

I think he makes a distinction between professors and government employees in charge of education curriculums. We had a long discussion about this a while back here: The Rules of the Game.

Actually, I donā€™t see this distinction in the linked discussion. I rather suspect that Patrick would be at least quite annoyed that a professor at a large state university who receives considerable federal funding will not counsel Christian students that science and their religion are incompatible, or, perhaps worse, train undergraduates who are comfortably YEC in their beliefs.

3 Likes

So far I see no indication that Van Dordrecht did anything actually objectionable or that the FFRF took any action at all. What did I miss?

4 Likes

Would such an order be legal?

Department at what level and how is this power codified?

I donā€™t see any parallels. Did you read the article? Sheā€™s not trying to impose her religious beliefs on anyone.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure you did miss anything. @patrick I think is often very sensitive to abuse of government power. It is possible his is right or that this is a false alarm. I do not see the problem he sees nor do I have the expertise to judge for sure.

3 Likes

Thomas Nagel comes to mind here. Also Steve Berlinski. I agree this is certainly a minority group as would Theists that believe in a completely natural origin of life. Since there are exceptions I think the idea that creation science is religion is false even though it is generally accepted as true.

It is certainly true that creation science is used to push a philosophical narrative yet evolution is used in the same way yet no one seems to claim that evolution is atheism disguised in a cheap tuxedo.

Nagel isnā€™t a creationist. He isnā€™t even an IDer. Berlinski is a theist, but he isnā€™t a creationist or even, apparently, an IDer. Both of them doubt ā€œDarwinismā€, but thatā€™s purely a negative belief, and they place nothing positive in its place. Sorry, still zero.

Actually, quite a few creationists make that claim.

4 Likes

Thomas Nagel is an atheist. A creationist believes that divine action(s) produced the universe. How can an atheist affirm a world created by God/god/gods? Thomas Nagel espouses no such view.

Iā€™m baffled by that statement, especially in the light of my past involvement in the creation science movement of the 1960ā€™s and 1970ā€™s. Creation science is as religious as it gets. The fact that a few agnostics (and perhaps even a few atheists) have been intrigued by it in their efforts to deny evolutionary processes or science in general doesnā€™t change that fact.

For years Iā€™ve heard Christian friends and colleagues complain that ā€œevolution is just atheism disguised so as to sneak godlessness into the classroom.ā€ Whether or not they refer to that specific sartorial preference (a tuxedo) strikes me as beside the point.

5 Likes

@Art The rules are quite different at the university level compared with the elementary and high school levels.
You are teaching adults whereas in the public school system, the students are children. The law is very clear at the public school level - no teaching of creationism . Regarding FFRF coming after you, I doubt it. There are no church/state separation issues with Behe at LeHigh, Marks at Baylor, and Swamidass at UWSTL. All have Free Speech Rights to write or say anything theyā€™d like. However, if you are really concerned about this I would ask the appropriate person who handles the federal grants as there is a lot of language in federal grants about religious neutrality.

I agree that you and John are right on this point. Whats interesting about Nagel is he is atheist yet skeptical of materialist philosophy. Berlinski claimed to be agnostic.

As a recipient of federal grants, this is news to me. Can you point me to such language?

The University of Notre Dame certainly isnā€™t religiously neutral. Are its faculty ineligible for federal grants?

2 Likes

That is indeed interesting and noteworthy, Bill. Iā€™ve been surprised at how many of my atheist friends and colleaguesā€”including a well-known atheist paleontologistā€”reject strictly materialist philosophy. As one such colleague told me, ā€œI donā€™t assume that there is a God or gods but I do think that there is more to reality than just the material world.ā€ Go figure.

3 Likes

It is in there, buried and pointed to thousands of different laws and guidelines.

No, ND faculty are eligible for federal grants just like faculty at secular universities.