Nathan Lents Gets a Tattoo

Is this a new trend? I’m not sure I’m ready to have the GAE tattooed on my back…

5 Likes

No not a new trend. Very human but very non-biblical. @NLENTS Your tattoo artist is outstanding.

Ötzi the Icemanphoto source: Ancient Origins

In 2015, scientists studying Ötzi the Iceman’s tattoos declared that his were the oldest tattoos in the world. For many years, the tattoo on another mummy known as the “Chinchorro Man” was believed to be the oldest surviving tattoo, about 1,000 years older than Ötzi’s. The new research concluded that the Chinchorro Man was not as old as previously thought, making Ötzi’s tattoos uncovered so far.

Ötzi has 61 tattoos on various places of his body, including his left wrist, lower back, torso, and lower legs. There are 19 groups of black lines ranging from 1 to 3 mm in thickness and 7 to 40 mm long. Researchers say that while Ötzi’s tattoos are currently the oldest, they demonstrate that the practice of tattooing predate him.

3 Likes

@NLENTS, do any animals tattoo themselves?

1 Like

Yes, humans. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Maybe not tattoos, but some animals do adorn themselves for a few different reasons and others can copy the behavior. My favorite is Julie the chimpanzee who put a piece of grass in her ear and, as she was very high-ranking, others began to copy the behavior.

https://www.thedodo.com/for-the-first-time-chimpanzees-605888880.html

5 Likes

My dog will happily adorn herself in “smelly stuff” she might happen to discover on our walks. That’s scent marking rather than visual marking, but more or less the same practice. :dog:

2 Likes

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Sorry, I cannot help myself

1 Like

Nathan, I’m just glad you did not author “Diseases of Tasmanian Devils”!

1 Like

I’m waiting for implantable OLEDs or something of the like. That way I can change the image when it suits me, and rent it out to advertisers when I want to make a few bucks. The technology will probably will hit the market when I’m in my 80s. Who wouldn’t want to ogle an octogenarian’s techtoos?

Or a treatise on dung beetles.

2 Likes

Evolution News comments on tattoos in general. Will they comment on @NLENTS tattoo?