Pre-Print: Brief Population Bottlenecks Are Beyond The Genetic Streetlight

Inferring human demographic history from extant genomes is an important goal of population genetics. To date, the sensitivity of coalescence-based methods in detecting population bottlenecks has not been well characterized. In this study, we find that brief bottlenecks, of just a few generations, are undetectable by current methods. A new approach to population inference, Lineage Time Inference (LiTI), uses data-derived windows to demarcate the limits of the genetic data. We find that a sharp population bottleneck at the time of the Youngest Toba Eruption, and also at more ancient timepoints in the human lineage, would be outside the genetic streetlight.

Iā€™m pleased to let you know about a pre-print we just released. It is under consideration at a journal now, and hopefully will be published soon. However, it is not actually peer reviewed yet.

Let Jack and I know your thoughts on our findings.

4 Likes

@Joe_Felsenstein, @NLENTS, @Zachary_Ardern, @Rumraket, @T_aquaticus curious your thoughts.

Thanks for this! This seems a useful study
Unfortunately I really donā€™t know the methods or literature here so donā€™t have much substantive to say, but here are some minor comments to start with

1. the first sentence mentions ancient genomes, but the methods donā€™t actually take into account data from ancient genomes. This may be misleading, in implicitly setting up the paper in a direction it doesnā€™t go. I guess conceivably ancestral population data could actually answer some of the questions raised (we just donā€™t have that much data).
  2. The second to last sentence in the abstract appears to be incomplete.
  3. I find it odd to have a log scale for the time axis in this context, but maybe it is normal for these simulations.
  4. At the end of p. 3 it says ā€œshort and briefā€, but as these are synonyms it probably should just be brief - if, though, a distinction is intended between short in an absolute sense and short relative to some other timeframe, then this can be clarified
1 Like

Oh my, Iā€™m always having typos slip through. Thanks for pointing them out.

It might also be appropriate to cite Richard Buggsā€™ comments on this issue, e.g. Adam and Eve: lessons learned | Nature Portfolio Ecology & Evolution Community
I realise of course that this is not a published paper, but it seems worthwhile acknowledging it somehow given that it is scholarly and his input on these matters I think contributed to this line of exploration (?)
Similarly, the work by Steve Schaffner.

1 Like

I have not added an acknowledgment section but I do plan to do so. I am not aware of any contributions to this by @glipsnort. Iā€™ll run the acknowledgement section by Richard eventually to be sure he is credited correctly. Iā€™m not sure about how to cite the non journal publications here (e.g. TMR4A).

Back in 2018, I individually invited Buggs, Schaffner, and Venema to collaborate with me in writing a paper on this. They all declined. Then this happened. I can disclose now that a BioLogos staff member intervened to disrupt dissemination of my work. I am grateful that the ASA apologized for their part in this.

This interference derailed things for a few years, in part because I didnā€™t want to throw an undergrad (Jack at the time) into the line of fire.

2 Likes

Richard cites this script from Steve Schaffner, but I havenā€™t thought about the various different methods discussed over the last few years and how they relate to your paper, so Iā€™m not sure what exactly is relevant. GitHub - glipsnort/bottleneck: A forward genetic simulator for playing around with demographic bottlenecks

1 Like

Buggs did cite this. But this work on SFS never faced scrutiny. If you look back at the exchange, youā€™ll see this wasnā€™t enough to convince Buggs when it was first put forward by @glipsnort. I was very skeptical at the time that it was a valid line of evidence. Several valid statements objections were made to which @glipsnort never responded.

Since then, as I expected, several studies have been published that contradict @glipsnort ā€™s results, showing how a more recent couple is compatible with observed SFS. This does not surprise me. The approach that @glipsnort takes does not appear to be scientifically valid. I donā€™t think this is a valid line of evidence for the claims he is making.

@glipsnort is aware of these papers, of course, as Iā€™ve brought them to his attention on this forum over the last couple years. What is surprising to me is that he still claims itā€™s a valid line of evidence.

Itā€™s worth pointing out some key things:

1. SFS is a simulation based approach that is entirely distinct from LiTI, which is a measurement based approach. We use simulations to validate (as everyone does), but thatā€™s distinct from using simulations to construct virtual test data, as @glipsnort.

2. SFS doesnā€™t estimate an Nmin over time, but LiTI does.

3. I tried replicating @glipsnortā€™s results with standard software and couldnā€™t. So there is something off here for sure, and until he allows his work to be peer reviewed, we wonā€™t be able to sort it out. (Once again, @glipsnort is aware of this).

4. #1 is a critical weakness because at best he can claim to rule out the specific scenario he simulated. But no one thinks that is a plausible model of human history (not YECs, not WLC, not RTB, not even @glipsnort ). There is very good reason to think that making the simulation more realistic will alter the conclusions. So his work relies critically on a particular type of strawmanning.

5. SFS doesnā€™t demonstrate why other approaches donā€™t work.

#1 and #4 are two reasons (of several) that the SFs reasoning is invalid. This is an exceedingly weak case, so vulnerable to criticism I have always declined to even recognize it as a valid line of evidence.

More to the point, LiTI does not rely at all upon SFS. It is entirely independent. It would be a mistake to think the problems with SFS apply also to LiTI/TMR4A.

There are other papers that mention rare variant frequencies in relation to bottlenecks. Such as:

Is this relevant to what you are discussing?

That is something totally different. They are not considering brief bottlenecks.

Perhaps there is a way to construct some valid case from SFS. What I am nearly certain of is that @glipsnort has not yet constructed a valid case.

Regardless this is all off topic of the preprint, which does not rely upon SFS or rare variant counts at all.

Iā€™m not sure there is a case to be made quite yet. However, I would be looking at primary papers that SFS is not an author on, if that helps.

If a method is capable of detecting a severe and brief population bottleneck, would that method be relevant to the paper?

SFS = site frequency spectrum. Iā€™m sure SFS has authored no papers.

Perhaps. But Iā€™m unaware of any time a bottleneck of a single generation has been considered in the literature, or any method that has been demonstrated capable of detecting one.

Ayalaā€™s work did consider a tight bottleneck, but all his simulations had the bottleneck last for approx 30 generations (if I recall correctly). Why? Likely because a strawman model was what he needed for his preferred conclusion.

Of note, SFS canā€™t actually ā€œdetectā€ bottlenecks, even if @glipsnortā€™s argument is correct. It would only be able to rule out specific hypotheses of demographic history, and the hypotheses @glipsnort considered are not held by anyone. Everyone thinks they are implausible, which makes his argument nearly irrelevant.

I should also add that the simulation technology required to simulate the required hypotheses was only very recently was made available. The validation studies in the preprint were not even possible a couple years ago.

Basically, anything prior to 2019 or so is guaranteed to have some severe methodological deficiencies, at least in how they were validated. Weā€™ve been in communication with the SLIM and tskit teams too, and their code base required some improvements to model our cases.

That alone is one reason Iā€™m pretty sure I havenā€™t missed anything critical. But by all means let me know if you find a relevant paper.

Hah, I tripped over myself on that one.

Just thinking about it in my head . . .

A single generation would be all it takes to change genetic variation. You would lose a lot of rare variants, and amplify other rare variants. However, I may have this all backwards so I will see if I canā€™t find some papers that will help me wrap my mind around it.

I encourage you to try some simulations in SLIM. Even a chemist can do it :slight_smile: (@jordan). You may quickly find your intuitions require recalibration.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.