Maybe Livestreaming ASA Workshop

@AJRoberts and @Patrick and @Guy_Coe, and everyone else, thanks for your interest and support of this. A brief summary now, and we will hear more about it soon in an upcoming office hours: Greg Cootsona: The "Science of Adam" Workshop.

The attendance was impressive. There were about 75 people, each who paid an extra $35 to attend, and came a day early to the conference. It was a packed room, standing room only. The actually presentation went really well. A Christianity Today reporter was there too, is considering to write an article on this soon.

I was not allowed to record the workshop.

A few weeks ago, without my knowledge, it appears that a representative of another organization lobbied ASA to prevent any recording of the workshop. Without consulting or informing me, it was decided that the stated intent of the workshop was to be overriden, and no recording would be allowed. I was notified of this decision merely 15 minutes before the presentation. No unofficial recording was allowed. The other organization’s representative emphatically insisted there be no recording, threatening to disrupt the workshop if I recorded it. It is possible there is a bootlegged recording, made by one of the panelists. It is possible it will appear and we will be able to share it at sometime, but this is far from certain at this time.

The next day, I informed Dr. Stephen Moshier, president of ASA of the material facts, and asked him to investigate the unmanaged conflicts of interest and lack of due process. To his credit, it appears he is taking this seriously.

I am shaken by this experience and still recovering. I am both encouraged by the high excitement about our work, and deeply saddened by the consistent and organized opposition it faces.

1 Like