Providence vs. Miracles: same difference?

Well, Providence mainly is referring to Gods control over the timeline of all events. A sense of order in the regular occurrence of things.

This is really just to say he has ordered the world in a way that has a set end. Part of that ordering could involve setting up things to naturally occur that function like miracles, but I see no reason why this would have to preclude direct intervention. I agree with @Jordan in that miracles occur as signposts, or for directly theological reasons.

Perhaps we wouldn’t always be able to distinguish between the two. I don’t particularly see the issue there because there are at least some cases that we can be fairly confident aren’t solely on account of how he set up the deck at the start of the game, such as a resurrection after 3 days.

Direct interventions could be cases where energy is added to the system, while divine action that occurs by way of providence would just require that the world continue on its regular path of cause and effect, like with Jordan’s story above.

I haven’t fleshed out any views on this. I am happy to quote from the book as an illustration, if you like?

Could the knowledge be based in a confidence of his attributes? For example, we know God as all-knowing. This would have meant he set the world up in a way full well knowing that your pay check would be deposited right on time at that point in history. The world could have been different, but the one we find ourselves in - and as Christians we believe God ordained - is the one that happened.

Would you consider Sodom and Gomorrah and what happened with Lot’s wife a miracle?

There’s an account of God causing the earth to ‘swallow’ a group of people, as well as Ananias and Sophia being struck dead for a particular lie.