Scholars Over and Under 45

He really was excellent in his day. I enjoyed listening to him debate.

1 Like

Okay, how about we work on LGBTQ rights? Woman’s healthcare? Income inequality? Immigration? Race? Gender Issues?

Ah, so now we must discuss what we believe to be of benefit. Fair enough.

From what you’ve listed it’s difficult to know what you mean by each term/issue. Undoubtedly we’d find common cause in that list. Perhaps, depending on what you mean, we’d be in disagreement as to the benefit of working together on some others. But the discussion would be on the issues not on your atheism.

1 Like

@patrick you are going to like the lutherans. It will be a welcome contrast to the Catholicism you left long ago.

1 Like

My atheism is merely an opinion. Atheism has nothing to do with my purpose in life nor the meaning I get out of life.

1 Like

We tend to be rather frustrating for most folks. We’re not Roman, but we are catholic (that’s one of our essential claims of the Reformation). We’re not Calvinist, Reformed, Zwinglian, etc, etc.

We don’t fit anywhere. We’re full of both/ands, apparent contradictions, and paradoxes.

It’s what makes us cool :smirk:

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what you mean - but I think we’re in agreement? I was saying your atheism, or Buddhism, or Hinduism, Sikhism, or Islam, would be irrelevant to me if we decide to work together to feed the hungry in our community.

3 Likes

Here is what we did in NJ to feed the hungry in our community that had too many old Churches.

This place now pays taxes which is used by the town/state government for social services like education, senior services, community healthcare whereas the remaining most dormant churches pay nothing.

2 Likes

That looks cool…though it looks more like a restaurant than a food bank or kitchen for the hungry/homeless. I’m glad a beautiful old building that wasn’t being used for a congregation to meet in can be used for something good.

1 Like

You now changed from feeding the hungry to a food bank or kitchen for the hungry/homeless.
This is two different things. In today’s world (or limiting to just US/Canada) the problem is not being underfed but overfed. Being hungry today is more of a metabolic problem like diabetes. Shouldn’t we focus our efforts on proper nutrition and exercise? We produce today an overabundance of food. Even the poorest of the poor is fat. Shouldn’t programs like SNAP be expanded so that poor families can buy more healthy food?

As for the homeless, Dr. Ben Carson leads HUD. What is HUD doing to eliminate homelessness? In my county in NJ, homelessness is mostly a mental health problem that is not being adequately address.

Ah, yes, this is what happens when we don’t define our terms. I didn’t “change” anything. My assumption was when discussing “feeding the hungry” we were discussing such things as food banks. That’s the way it would be generally used in this context in Canada (and I assumed most places), but apparently you use that term differently and when you use the term you mean to communicate concern for an over abundance of food and being overfed and concern for diabetes, proper nutrition, and exercise. Perhaps you can understand my confusion.

I have no argument with any of what you’ve written. The concerns you raise are also concerns - particularly the issue of mental health and homelessness. I don’t know what SNAP is and I barely know who Ben Carson is, and have no idea what he is doing to eliminate homelessness.

1 Like

In the US at the moment there is a big hypocrisy going on among the Christian majority in this country. Christians are all for “feeding the poor and hungry” while cutting social programs like Food Stamps, Medicaid, low income housing. The whole “Build a Wall” hypocrisy while being anti-immigrant is being pushed by mostly Christians. Income inequality is being addressed by massive tax cuts for the rich, most who are Christian.

American culture baffles me (not that I believe Canadian culture is any better, just different and messed up in our own way). What I see in the culture is American civil religion…which often has a whiff of Christianity but is really more like Moralistic Therapeutic Deism (as coined by Christian Smith back in 05). So, I’m not convinced what you’re reacting to is necessarily Christianity. Though, I suppose you could accuse me of the “that’s no true Scotsman” fallacy.

I also find that Americans view everything through the lens of politics. That seems to lead my American friends to view the world as dichotomies. If only it were that simple… This conversation, I suppose, is a good example. Something of a political nature was no where near my thought. Hadn’t occurred to me. Perhaps this is because “Christian” has become synonymous with “right wing” in the States and you’re reacting to that conflation? The Christians are not without fault in this conflation, from my perspective, either. In fact, that is an area among American Christianity that baffles me - the commingling of the Faith with patriotism and “American values.” That’s very unhelpful and dangerous. When I see churches allowing politicians into the pulpit on a Sunday it simply makes no sense to me.

Your perspective of the situation that you’ve laid out may or may not be accurate, or accurate in some but not all areas. Everything that you claimed also has another side or sides to consider. You’ve also made some moral claims and assumed bad motives of the “hypocrites” of the “Christian” majority. Could there be a more balanced way to try and see the situation?

I stopped listening to American politics about 10 years ago - it’s not a conversation and no one is listening. It’s nonsensical. I have many friends down south - I hope you all can sort yourselves out.

3 Likes

I agree that everything is distorted in the US politics. All we have now is voices shouting at each other.

4 Likes