Some Comments from YouTube Watchers of the Tour-Farina Debate

I’m supposed to recognize the names of all 535 members of Congress immediately? Many I would recognize immediately, but not all. If a person is involved in a news story I have been following, I will know his or her name, but I can’t follow all possible news stories; there are too many. Lately I have been following stories around Biden and Kennedy, and that has crowded out other stories.

He gave much personal and academic background in our previous exchanges. Check them out. But even without that biographical information, knowing the field of Biblical Studies as I do, and reading his statements on the Bible here, and his attitude toward Bible scholars, I could be virtually certain that no mainstream academic institution would hire him to teach Bible or any related subject.

I agree with all that you say about Farina. Yes, he was not debating in good faith. And yes, I understand why Tour might have wanted to participate, to clear the air. But he had debated for hours with Dave via videos, about the exact same topics and articles, and he knew Dave was very likely to resort to insults and abuse. So he was giving a university platform to someone very likely to abuse that platform. I’d call that bad judgement.

Thanks for posting your video, by the way. I’ll look at it as time permits.

Yes, of course, that’s exactly what I said. It’s hard to take you seriously; you seem like a self-parody. George Santos is a particularly infamous congressman, and yes, you should know who he is.

Did he state that he had never had an academic job?

1 Like

Not to mention that he is an American so immersed in and enthused by right wing propaganda that he not only reads the Durham report for pleasure, but seems to think it actually uncovered something of significance.

OTOH, the American right would probably rather prefer that Santos not even exist, so perhaps “Eddie” is just going along with that.

Just in case anyone was still wondering whether “Eddie” was just bullshitting when he claimed to be on intimate terms with many “ID insider scientists.” And, also, when he wrote this:

In any event, unless I misread him, it was my impression that @swamidass is considering extending an invitation to Tour. So you’re off the hook “Eddie.”

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, and welcome to the group!

It seems to me your video makes the error of leaning too much on whether Tour explicitly admits that his views on abiogenesis research are motivated and informed by his particular religious beliefs. That ignores his close affiliation with the Discovery Institute and the well-documented history of that organization. The DI was founded with the explicit intention of undermining secularism at all levels of society, not least in the area of science. Their objective there has been to portray scientists as in the thrall of an atheistic worldview that leads them to deny a role for God in the workings of the physical universe. To this end, ID proponents seek to portray themselves as nothing more than objective investigators of the scientific data, unimpeded by any philosophical or religious commitment to a particular position on the issue of whether God exists.

This is, of course, mere propaganda. They are, in fact, almost entirely motivated by their fundamentalist religion and habitually misconstrue and misrepresent scientific evidence to mislead their followers into believing the evidence for certain scientific ideas, evolution in particular, is much weaker than it actually is.

A necessary part of this propaganda effort, of course, is to carefully conceal and deny their religious motivations. As such, the fact that Tour may not admit to his own religious motivations is not sufficient reason to conclude they are not there. Rather, IMHO, it is quite reasonable to conclude that these are his true motivations taking all the relevant information into consideration.

Of course, as you say, motivations do not matter if one’s scientific arguments are sound. But Tour’s are not, as should become clear is you read thru the comments in this thread. I do note that you made no comment regarding the soundness of Tour’s scientific claims, which is of course wise if you do not feel qualified to do so. However, without that crucial piece of knowledge, you are not really in a position to determine whether Farina’s criticisms were off base.

I will also add that I found your description of Tour’s reputation among your fellow Rice students to be interesting, and also note that you did not really dispute its accuracy.

1 Like

It was inferable from things he did state. And you, of course, as an evolutionary biologist, affirm the validity of inferring long-past unobservable events by reasoning back from the data, so I don’t think you can object to the use of an inferential process.

I do know many of them quite well. Tour is not one of the ones I know well. In fact, I’ve never spoken to him directly, though he knows of my existence. However, I do know how to get his attention through people who know both of us well, which I why I said that I could ensure that Tour heard about an offer from any major OOL researcher who wanted to debate him. No contradiction in my statements at all.

I’m interested in your reasoning here. What did he say from which you inferred that? I don’t object to valid inference, but that remains to be seen.

1 Like

Hey Paul, thanks for your video. And welcome to the forum.

I watched your video through and I agree with many of your points, but I think there’s a bit of a disconnect in your concluding remarks. You state near the end of your video, about professor Dave, that:“I don’t think he’s offered any substantive critiques of doctor Tour” and here I just have to disagree.

He has actually done so on multiple occasions in his video series on Tour.

But sadly I have to agree with you that these criticisms come interspersed between a lot of completely unnecessary vitriol. I’m afraid that this behavior on the part of Dave is having the very effect on you that you are criticizing Dave for having on others, in your video. It does turn some people off from Dave’s message, who might otherwise have been receptive to the substantive points he does make. And if you think Dave have offered no substantive criticisms of Tour’s points about abiogenesis research, I think you might have missed them exactly because of this effect.

To see some examples, look at @evograd’s post up earlier in this thread. Those are valid points against things Tour has said. There are others in Dave’s video series. But yes, you’d have to pick them out of a lot of bad packaging.

On related note, I take your point about people having misapprehensions about what has been achieved in the abiogenesis field, might ultimately contribute to them not even wanting to go into the field in the first place.
But here I think listening to James Tour isn’t going to help in that endeavor in the slightest. Tour has actually stated he thinks the entire field should be canceled and all the people working in it fired. He has stated on several occasions that he is actively advising his own students against even to go into the field. This isn’t the behavior of someone who is concerned by people being turned off from what they learn about the state of abiogenesis research.

Earlier in the video you state that you think that because there are many people who attack ID-proponents in a way similar to how Dave Farina has attacked Tour, that makes you think or suspect there’s actually something to ID in the first place, and that they attack it like this because there are no valid criticisms of ID.

First of all I hope we can agree this is a non-sequitur. It does not follow that there is “something to ID” just because there are people attacking it with presumptive bad-faith attacks that it is religiously motivated. ID must stand on it’s own merits regardless of however many bad-faith attacks it is subjected to.

Second is, there are very valid criticisms of ID, and I have to wonder where you have looked for them if you even have? I’d be happy to point you in some good directions. I highly recommend browsing the archives of http://pandasthumb.org/ to see many substantive criticisms of ID, and it’s ideas and concepts. There have also been numerous posts on this forum (not always easy to find without searching), and on theskepticalzone.org (particularly there, many of the ill-conceived arguments against evolution and abiogenesis, concerning biological information, have been substantively addressed.)

1 Like

Rumraket, when asked for a list of his science publications of any kind (pertaining to ID or not) has punted. Crispr has been silent about his publications.

I wouldn’t need to have any publications to have sufficient qualifications, knowledge, evidence, arguments, or insights that would make me able to competently debate Tour on my suggested topic, particularly when Tour himself has literally none of relevance to his claims about proteins and information that I want to address.

3 Likes

Yes, that was waaay over the top. Statements that are “not entirely true” can be “largely true.” Make the call on it, sure, but if Farina thinks that makes for a pathological liar, then he has never met a pathological liar.

Agree there too, that discussion was actually illuminating.

That’s a good point. I think what bothers me is the relative silence of other faculty on this whole situation, though as you say they may be ignoring it to not give either of them a platform. The issue is many people (including many undergraduates) are coming to conclusions on research and how research is done from this exchange, regardless of whether Tour debates Farina in person or not. This is the state of our culture with social media and large platforms like YouTube. As an educator myself it is clear students are getting “information” from what is said on these platforms and it is informing their views and approach to scholarship.

Consider the following: what if Farina argued another scientist could not do objective research because they were a Muslim, Jew (“Lying for Judaism”), because of their sexual or gender identity, race, etc? I would expect a swift denouncement from people across the scientific community, such as what happened when Tim Hunt made comments about women in his labs. Yet somehow either because he is a Christian or perhaps for some other reason I do not know, the research community is relatively silent.

1 Like

Hi @Eddie, @Faizal_Ali, @Mercer, @paulm12, @swamidass, @Rumraket and others,

Some contributors to this thread have scoffed at Eddie’s claim to know dozens of scientists within the Intelligent Design movement. I believe he is speaking the truth. I’d just like to point out in passing that there are some very intelligent scientists who are creationists and/or Intelligent Design proponents. If you want proof, take a look at the Amazon Web page for Marcos Eberlin’s book, Foresight: How the Chemistry of Life Reveals Planning and Purpose, published by the Discovery Institute. Let me hasten to point out that the book’s arguments against evolution are full of holes, and have been exposed by reviewer Puck Mendelssohn (see here). But just look at the favorable editorial reviews Eberlin’s book attracted from top scientists, some of them Nobel Prize winners:

“I am happy to recommend this to those interested in the chemistry of life. The author is well established in the field of chemistry and presents the current interest in biology in the context of chemistry.”—Sir John B. Gurdon, PhD, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (2012)

“An interesting study of the part played by foresight in biology.”—Brian David Josephson, Nobel Prize in Physics (1973)

“Despite the immense increase of knowledge during the past few centuries, there still exist important aspects of nature for which our scientific understanding reaches its limits. Eberlin describes in a concise manner a large number of such phenomena, ranging from life to astrophysics. Whenever in the past such a limit was reached, faith came into play. Eberlin calls this principle ‘foresight.’ Regardless of whether one shares Eberlin’s approach, it is definitely becoming clear that nature is still full of secrets which are beyond our rational understanding and force us to humility.”—Gerhard Ertl, PhD, Nobel Prize in Chemistry (2007)

“Foresight provides refreshing new evidence, primarily from biology, that science needs to open its perspective on the origin of living things to account for the possibility that purely natural, materialistic evolution cannot account for these facts. The book is written in an easy-to-read style that will be appreciated by scientists and non-scientists alike and encourages the reader to follow the truth wherever it leads, as Socrates advised long ago.”—Michael T. Bowers, PhD, Distinguished Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California Santa Barbara

“In his newest book, Foresight, award-winning and prominent researcher Prof. Marcos Eberlin cogently responds to crucial questions about life’s origin, using an arsenal of current scientific data. Eberlin illustrates his points with varied examples that reveal incredible foresight in planning for biochemical systems. From cellular membranes, the genetic code, and human reproduction, to the chemistry of the atmosphere, birds, sensory organs, and carnivorous plants, the book is a light of scientific good sense amid the darkness of naturalistic ideology.”—Kelson Mota, PhD, Professor of Chemistry, Amazon Federal University, Manaus, Brazil

“Eberlin brilliantly makes use of his expertise, achieved in more than twenty-five years applying mass spectrometry in assorted areas such as biochemistry, biology, and fundamental chemistry to outline a convincing case that will captivate even the more skeptical readers.”—Rodinei Augusti, PhD, Full Professor of Chemistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil

“Marcos Eberlin, one of the best chemists in the world today, has written a must-read, superb book for anyone considering what indeed science says of the universe and life.”—Dr. Maurício Simões Abrão, Professor at the University of São Paulo Medical School, São Paulo, Brazil.

Note that the last reviewer, who’s a professor, calls Eberlin “one of the best chemists in the world today.” According to his Wiki bio, “He is a member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences and received the Brazilian National Order of Scientific Merit in 2005 and the Thomson Medal in 2016.[1]

It’s fair to infer that many of the editorial reviewers of Eberlin’s book are at least ID-friendly. So when Eddie says he knows top scientists in the Intelligent Design movement, I am very much inclined to believe him. Perhaps he’d like to tell us if he’s met Marcos Eberlin.

What all this shows is that science is much more compartmentalized than laypeople imagine. Some very highly regarded chemists know little or nothing about evolutionary biology, and vice versa. (Readers will have noticed that most of the editorial reviewers of Eberlin’s book were chemists, like James Tour.) What’s even more interesting is that Sir John Gurdon, a Nobel Prize winner who’s a zoologist (and therefore presumably knows something about evolution) and who has been described as the godfather of cloning, also recommended Eberlin’s book. Make of that what you will.

Finally, one thing I’m curious about is whether Professor James Tour considers abiogenesis to be ruled out by Scripture. The reason why I ask this question is that Genesis 1 can be read in a way that’s friendly to abiogenesis. For instance, on the fifth day, God says, “Let the waters bring forth living creatures,” which is much more than proponents of abiogenesis would dare to claim. (We are not told whether the event in question was a natural or a supernatural one; all we are told is that it happened at God’s behest.) Tour himself has written, “Those who think scientists understand the issues of prebiotic chemistry are wholly misinformed. Nobody understands them. Maybe one day we will. But that day is far from today.” Has anyone spoken to Tour on the subject? Cheers.

2 Likes

There’s no such person or thing as an ID scientist because ID is not science. It’s religion. So, I’d like to know who Eddie claims he is conversing with. Name 'em and claim 'em™.
Like the other beings in religion, they are imaginary. If ID is science, it would have made advances in at least one of the fields of science like medicine and vaccine production, modern farming and pest control for crops, anatomy, biology, anthropology, biogeography, fishery management, biochemistry. So even if we give the Johnsonist gospel of intelligent design creation magic evangelists everything they ask for and call it science it would be the most useless, worthless most unproductive scientific hypothesis in the history of science. For that reason, the Johnsonist gospel of intelligent design creation magic has been consigned to the trash bin of history.

The issue is the same can be said about Professor Dave. He has ties to the CFI which has an explicit goal of promoting secularism, relates with notable atheists and satanists like Aron Ra, and appears on YouTube channels to arguing religions are myths like Derek Lambert’s channel, which he has done multiple times. The same logic could argue his reason for taking on “debunking” Tour, and any subsequent language or arguments he gives. In this case, we have no reason for trusting Farina or Tour’s views on OOL.

3 Likes

Do you think I can remember all the detailed steps in reasoning I employed in a conversation that took place well over a year ago? Why not simply look up the long previous conversations with him, and judge for yourself whether my inference is sound? I’m always told how much lousier I am at using the search function than others here; you can probably find them faster than I can. In fact, though I wouldn’t swear to it, I think you were involved in at least some of the conversations; I seem to remember that you agreed with me that his parallels of Homeric material with Biblical passages were strained. So you probably were there when he volunteered biographical information in answer to my questions.

I know you didn’t. But tell Harshman directly whether you did or did not have one, since he seems keen on ascertaining this.

I did not limit the range to Bible colleges. I was speaking of academic institutions that teach the Bible in general, which includes seminaries and Judaic Studies departments, Religion departments, etc. in colleges and universities. You would not be hired by any of those, either.

It’s evident you don’t know very many students or professors from Religion departments in mainstream universities and colleges.

I did not limit my statement to Christian academic settings. I referred to colleges and universities where the Bible is studied, and much of the academic community in those places is not Christian and studies the Bible from a secular humanist point of view.

No, you don’t. I’ve asked you several times now to show your work regarding the Greek verbs you mentioned: state your thesis and give your evidence for the thesis. You have responded by asking me questions. It’s a standard trick for people who don’t know their material to shift to the offensive by asking questions of others. I say you have nothing but a confused mass of notions in your head about the words you gave and the passage in which they are embedded: no thesis at all, just mush. You can prove me wrong by “showing your work.” Write me two or three coherent paragraphs about the meaning of the passage and how you derived it from the tenses of the aforementioned verbs. If you can’t produce such a statement, I will know you are bluffing.

Hundreds, was it not?

Many of those seem to be bending over backwards not to endorse Eberlin’s opinions, just saying that they’re “interesting” or “regardless of whether one share’s Eberlin’s approach”. I wouldn’t take from those comments that the majority are IDers, though they certainly all want to say nice things about Eberlin.

4 Likes

No, probably not. But you might have surprised me. You realize that nobody can credit your vague impressions as evidence, right?

Sure, he’s a kook. But there are plenty of kooks with real academic positions, so that isn’t at all probative.

1 Like

I don’t.

Do you believe Eddie is speaking the truth in these matters?

Or this?

Poor Eddie can’t even name one of this “good number.” Can you?

How about instead of endorsing Eddie’s relentless, vapid authoritarianism and pathological avoidance of evidence, you focus on the evidence itself, Vincent?

3 Likes

So why not read some real OoL papers in depth, Paul?

You clearly are no longer employed by any of those, either, so what’s your point?

And what’s the significance of Buffalo?